Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Mdina Surprise  (Read 445 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Mdina Surprise
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »
I recently acquired another Mdina 'Mallet' vase (BTW, is that the correct name, Mdina experts?) marked on the base 'Mdina Glass 1975', which is very dark but which looks fantastic - as is so often the case - with light behind it.    However, what I didn't at first realise was that the dark internal 'trails' are actually Amethyst!  It was only when I lit it from underneath to get a better photo of the internal effects that I saw the true colour!   

I particularly love the effect of light through the neck, and wonder if anyone else 'sees' what I 'see' in the middle of it?  ;)  :D   
Leni

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Mdina Surprise
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »
Nice one Leni  ;D

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »
I've always regarded these as sculptural bottles...? Here's a couple of pics of a similar one also dated 75 and produced by Joseph Said. Again displaying a rather superb 'crizzle' type effect internally.

:)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 02:42:59 PM »
I don't think Mallet is any proper name - I'm sure it arose as a result of somebody's imagination, working from the dreaded axe-word!
I call them cube vases. I reckon that basically they're unflattened "Cut-ice Lollipops" - and yes - they have the most amazing things, both colours and effects, going on inside them!
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »
looks like a small demon in blue - complete with grin  -  and he seems rather occupied :)      very nice piece Leni.

bfg

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »
I'm getting a front  facing lizard  ;D

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
Lovely example Leni, similar colours to this lollipop: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyMdinaGlass#5429986536823925058. Interesting that they were still using that colour combo in 1975, not sure that they used it for much longer.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
I'll check..... :)
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 06:15:53 PM »
Yes, similar colours John.  I have no idea about things like when the various colours were used, so thank you, Sue, for checking for me.  I would quite like to get Mark's book now that I seem to have quite a collection of Mdina.  (Oops!  How did that happen?  ;D )  But I guess I'll have to wait until the new edition comes out next year.

As for what I can 'see' in my second picture, Paul came nearest.  I can see a small blue fairy, with her head slightly on one side!   OK, I'm a nut-case, but we knew that anyway, didn't we?   ;D
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »
I thought the book wasn't going to be reissued? Good that it is, if it is.
Otherwise, Leni, I do have a spare copy, if you'd like it.  :-*
I haven't checked yet, will do so tomorrow.
Cheers, Sue (M)

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com