No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help! Glass horse - ID = Campanella, Murano  (Read 7731 times)

Offline toyxxhearts

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • ID
    • USA
Help! Glass horse - ID = Campanella, Murano
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:08:09 AM »
So I have been helping a friend clean out her house and wound up with this lovely horse. He's about 10 1/2 in. tall. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Help! Glass horse
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 12:16:25 AM »
Hello and welcome.I've no idea  but I'm sure someone else will,there are lots of glass animal buffs here ;D ;D

Offline toyxxhearts

• Members
    • ID
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 12:18:25 AM »
Thanks! It is all very new to me and I know one tiny thing can make a huge difference in what exactly a piece is. I do know it has Campanella Murano engraved on the stomach, or at least that is what it looks like to me.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 07:26:57 AM »
Several firms did them they represent the Ferrari flying horse , i believe Campanella is correct , Anita  txsilver may know more about the company . i have one by Pino Signoretto .very  nice jp
Welcome to GMB  :)

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:07:47 AM »
I think you'll find they don't represent the Ferrari horse so much as the famous four horses of St Mark's in Venice, which stand on the top of St Mark's Basilica, and which are reputed to have been taken from the Hippodrome in Constantinople.  They are the reason so many Murano glass makers 'do' horses!   
Leni

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »
What a beautiful Gift... toyxxhearts.

The company that made him was called Cristalleria G. Campanella & C. in Murano Italy.

This technique was used by the Marcolin Brothers and was produced in glass workshops in Sweden & Sardinia as well as Murano.
I will do some more research for you about this company and leave any interesting facts here for you.
Rosie.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 10:05:19 AM »
Thanks Leni but mine is a Ferrari the single prancing horse adapted from that thingy you are on about but slightly different pose .  ;D ;) Some were made as a tribute to the late Dino Ferrari , or so i was told by the Bishop of Gubbio Msgr Mario Ceccobelli , maybe he was telling porkies . ;D

Offline toyxxhearts

• Members
    • ID
    • USA
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 03:09:17 PM »
Thank you all! And Rosie, it is beautiful. This is my first glass piece so is probably not going anywhere but any info that could help me find out his value would be great. I have spent hours trying to research it but am not having a whole lot of luck.  Thank you all so much again!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 05:11:48 AM »
What a great find. I would love to put it in the Murano Zoo. If you would like to have it in there, just email me your full name and I'll give you credit. It would also be nice to have the height of the horse.

It is one of the better pieces I've seen by Campanella. The decor is known as the "grey effect." It is a sfumato technique that is believed to have been invented by Alfredo Barbini when he was at VAMSA in the late 1930s. From what I've read, the grey is actually created with smoke. I would love to see someone do the technique. Many companies used the technique later, including Marcolin, Nason, and Formia... and alas recently a Chinese company.

These horses are often called Ferrari. Some people call them prancing, though I can't understand that one. They are rearing stallions. I believe the design started in the 1970s and continues to this day. They are popular, since everyone loves horses. I can't put a year on your horse, since Campanella has been around for a while. I like that it is signed so nicely.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 06:49:24 AM »
Hi Anita the Ferrari Emblem is known as the prancing horse or sometimes the Black Stallion . Above when i said flying horse i meant to say prancing horse . maybe i should start drinking again .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand