No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hello! Long time stalker, first time posting. Inherited a piece of art glass  (Read 3127 times)

Offline m0x

• Members
  • Antiques are my passion, glass is Greek to me.
    • 18century/Iconography/Oddities
    • Michigan-USA
Hi, my name is Mox. I've checked your forum, and sent people here, often for quite some time (I own an antique mall in my city). I was given a vase years ago and just found it again. We were never able to find any true origin or value (need to know if I should keep it out of reach of my children). I would be much obliged if anyone had any opinion. I believe it's Czech, spatter, cased, possibly 20's or 30's, end of day, brass flower frog. Otherwise I have no clue. Thank you and hope to become an active member here as we are closing down and I have a lot of good glass I know nothing about :)
Thanks in advance,
 - Mox

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/427336_10152020967515725_991771352_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/419806_10152020969445725_557116802_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/484417_10152020970835725_308861537_n.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline m0x

• Members
    • Michigan-USA
I thought, at one point, we had it narrowed down well (my art glass dealer and I) but it was so long ago and he's since passed on. Does anyone know anything from the attached pic and the links showing the other angles/flower frog? I noticed, when looking up czech and spatter/end of day vases I never found the exact shape as this one and also never saw one with a solid colour on the inside while being "spattered" on the outside. I can't remember if that's what "cased glass" meant and if that makes it later-produced than I thought. If I'm posting in the wrong place/forum, if you could kindly direct me to the correct location I will beggar-off. Cheers!
 - Mox

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Hello Mox, welcome to the Board.

Please be patient as the board has an international membership covering all manner of glass from all around the world. And with an international membership, members with knowledge of a particular style of glassware may not see a thread for a day or two. And even then, it may take quite a while to track down information on an item that is out of the ordinary.

I personally have no great knowledge of "spatter" glass but I always think "Bohemian" first; however, until now I do not believe I have seen a spatter item with trailed decoration. So I am amongst those who cannot really help with this one.

KevinH

Offline m0x

• Members
    • Michigan-USA
Hello Mox, welcome to the Board.

Please be patient as the board has an international membership covering all manner of glass from all around the world. And with an international membership, members with knowledge of a particular style of glassware may not see a thread for a day or two. And even then, it may take quite a while to track down information on an item that is out of the ordinary.

I personally have no great knowledge of "spatter" glass but I always think "Bohemian" first; however, until now I do not believe I have seen a spatter item with trailed decoration. So I am amongst those who cannot really help with this one.

Hello! Apologies if it seemed I was pushing the point, I had only just remembered that last bit of info. Bohemian is where my head went too, but the black lines and the solid orange inside has me skeptical. Thanks for the welcome and reply :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Hi and welcome, Mox.
This is a bit unusual for spatter glass, as has been mentioned - with the black strapping. Also, the spatters seem (to me) to be rather sparse, although this and Bohemian glass are not my areas.
However, "end of day" is a complete misnomer and fabrication - there is no such thing as "end of day" glass.

Do you have a UV torch? I have found that the yellow spatters glow bright red on my 2 bits - which are fairly ordinary, but absolutely genuine.
I'm not doubting yours - just curious.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Hi mOx, this is not the same but is the closest I have seen with some striped markings...might be a trail to follow?
Rosie.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-DECO-CZECH-TANGO-SPATTER-GLASS-VASE-KRALIK-POWOLNY-/400315173770
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline NMott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle

Offline art-of-glass

• Members
    • Online shop

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
The powder bowl Daniel linked to is the same decor but I was confused by the information on that thread  :-\
 Is it Ruckl or Kralik?
The opening header says Ruckl but then further down it is queried as Ruckl or Kralik.
m

Offline dirk.

• Members
Tango glass and it´s cousins spatter and ´spattered tango´ seem a minefield sometimes. Since my visit to
Czech Republic last year I tend not to believe many of the common attributions.
The exhibition in Jablonec e.g. attributed the decor in Rosie´s link to a company called Tomczyk (spelling?)
if I remember correctly, whereas many of us used to believe it was Kralik. Often forgotten - Riedel and
Palda had a wide rage of tango and spatter, too. I´m not sure there´s much published about it either. Then
there´s new decors from Welz being identified from time to time and I´m sure Krasno Reich did spatter also.
I hope one day the Czech pattern books will be published...  :P
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand