No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help id murano piece - ID = Chirico of Naples  (Read 4626 times)

Offline joshzorn

• Members
    • Venitian and Murano glass
    • united states
help id murano piece - ID = Chirico of Naples
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:51:49 AM »
Hi. Newbie here.
I just started collecting vintage Italian pieces. I'm only 21 and have been bit by the hobby bug. I got a few pieces I want to see if anyone cam help id.
I love my generic ashtrays!!!

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: help id murano pieces
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board!
I am sure you will enjoy it here :)

It is better to post one item per thread, so if it gets identified it can be labeled and moved to the proper subsection.

I am not sure if the pieces you show are Murano glass (I think chances are better with the second than with the first), but wait what the experts will say.

Michael

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of glass Josh.

As stated by Rocco the way this board works best is to start one topic for each item you are trying to identify.  Do not put up too many at once - two or three(at a pinch) seems to be an acceptable numbersince more will push others off the "front page" too quickly.  It is advisable not to put an item in one of the more specific areas (such as Murano Glass) unless you have certainty that it is indeed from Murano.  Better is to puyt it into the Glass area and the moderators will move it to a different area if that seeems advisable.  Finally, be patient, not everyone looks every day at the GMB but the right expert will definitely move you forward marvellously given time.  The current record for me being able to help is an item I spotted that was put up 6.5 years ago.

Photos.  It is advisable to post at least three photos for an item.  One a general overview, second a profile shot and third a clear photo of the base showin any marks or lables.  For some types of glass a clear photo of the rim is useful.

I concur the second item looks rather "Murano" but the first could be from many places.  It is a problem that simply looking at the top of an item, seemingly from Murano, is rarely definitive,  There are pieces from Bohemia, Whitefriars, Kosta, Orrefors, Hadeland, Chance, Leonora, Hioneri, Kamei, Val St Lambert, etc. etc. all of which can look vaguely Murano-ish.  That is why the set of photos can sometimes exclude makers from consideration and allow a better attribution to occur.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline joshzorn

• Members
    • united states
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 03:57:29 PM »
My bad. I will cruise around before posting again. Every board is different. The red piece I'm very curious about. It was sold as a biomorphic free form. They OS another for sale just like it. But blue instead of red and clear.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/34593627/vintage-murano-eames-era-freeform-blue?ref=usr_faveitems&atr_uid=23842545

Here are a few other pics.

Offline joshzorn

• Members
    • united states
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »
Here is the bottom.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 01:56:32 AM »
Hi, Joshzorn, and welcome. Your red bowl is the type of glass that often has a "Lavorazione Arte Murano, Made in Italy" sticker on it. It was not made in Murano, however. It was made in Naples, Italy, by a company named Chirico.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 06:22:11 AM »
Kaspersky tells me there's a trojan on that page Anita

Offline joshzorn

• Members
    • united states
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 07:09:17 AM »
Oh cool thank you!!!! I guess if anything not a bad find for 15$. Lol thanks again!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
Christine, McAfee doesn't give any alerts for it. The only extra bit I get is an offer to translate.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 01:11:49 PM »
Might be something in the shockwave flash part of the site - I visited with scripting off and Nod32 on and had no alert, but the scripting off can prevent such alerts. I've removed the link just in case...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand