No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Georgian 18th century opaque twist Ale glass... have I paid too much??  (Read 1722 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Hi all
had to share and confirm this one
I think its an 18th century ale glass? 20.5cm tall, 6.4cm rim diameter, 7cm foot diameter. Slightly concave foot with ground and polished pontil mark.
I found this in someones Rubbish Bin at a car boot sale. I asked the lady the price she said oh its broken I am chucking it but you can have for ten pence yes 10p (I was not about to argue the point that if she was chucking it surely it should be free!)
It does sadly have quite a big chip out of the foot, but I can live with that.
thanks
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Georgian 18th century opaque twist Ale glass... have I paid too much??
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:01:41 AM »
Did they polish pontils that early . Where is old glassman ?  :-\

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 10:05:23 AM »
I am not sure JP hence why Ive added it here. My other Georgian glass has a snapped off rough pontil.
It appears to have some good age to it, and the style is right possibly a later copy?
Maybe my 10p was 9p too much  ;D

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 10:15:31 AM »
someone called  ;D

Hi ,
         To me your glass looks like a very late 18th century/early 19th c example , the collar at top and bottom of the stem are commonly seen on these later examples , many of which are thought to have originated in Scotland  most have polished pontils. So!!  yes  Georgian ale glass but slightly later than the norm .To be absolutely positive though it would have to be seen in the hand to appraise the metal properly.

btw , polished pontils can be found on continental glasses from the 17th century onwards though on English glass it is generally accepted that they appeared around the time of facet stems c 1770 ish , though there can always be exceptions.

cheers ,
            Peter.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »
just having a quick search and so it appears the pontil marks where "removed" late 18th century"The introduction of new mechanical grinding techniques in the late 18thC and early 19thC means that on most facet-stemmed glasses the pontil mark will be ground out" Millers collecting glass by Sarah Yates Mark West and David McCarron page 59

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:19:06 AM »
Not not at all i only asked because my memory is failing and to help you find out , i once took a friend to an auction   in Bond street there was a glass with a large crack in the bowl and a piece the size of a thumbnail out of the top , my friend said how can they expect to sell that ,,,, it went for £18,000  plus commission  , we then spoke to Simon Cottle he said well an undamaged one went for £ 80,000 in New York last year , it was of course an Amen glass
sorry we crossed paths cheers
         Cheers PETER -  KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 10:23:17 AM »
Thanks Peter we crossed paths there.
I was just kidding JP I would have gone up to 50p really :) I am very pleased with it and it will remain in my collection for now as I cant afford an undamaged one.
thanks gentlemen
michelle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand