No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mary Gregory style vase - ID = Westmoreland Glass  (Read 7441 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Mary Gregory Vase
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 05:58:58 PM »
Mary Gregory was a real person who worked at Boston Sandwich from 1880 to 1884 or 1885 whichever source you use (and that is documented) There is a catch however as she worked (along with her sister) in the lamp shade decorating department decorating Gone with the Wind style lamps & did not decorate bowls, vases, etc. Most art glass experts point out that many european factories (mostly Bohemian) were decorating in this style (fat cherub children) prior to 1880, but in the U.S. it became fashional to refer to this style as Mary Gregory & it simply caught on as a catch all phrase.  Ken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 06:11:10 PM »
I should have added that, like Sue, I know less than nothing about this type of production, but was aware that there had in fact been an Mary Alice Gregory working as a decorator at B. & S. in the 1880's - so just wished to make this a known fact rather than it appearing there had never been a Mary Gregory.
I think that this Mary had in fact been and gone long before people had started using the expression........and am sure that it's true that as a product this type of thing has been made in many places around the world - most recently perhaps in Czechoslovakia.         But as a serious comment, for a change, it had occurred to me that perhaps the snow scenes that she apparently created on Gone With the Wind type lamps showing winter scenes etc., might have been the catalyst for someone at a later date to use her name for the white enamel type decoration of homely images that bear her name.        Just a vague thought you understand.       She died in May 1908 incidentally.   

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 06:12:11 PM »
Ken - my apologies, most of my comments are redundant in view of your helpful reply.

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »
Certainly no need for any apology Paul. I think we covered just about everything. I had some old notes that the Hahn Factory at Gablonz did the exact same type of work only a bit earlier & its been reproed for decades by just about everyone. I had a vase that was supposedly from that region in an early form, but I
I think most of this stuff is impossible to date so who knows?. Ken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 07:33:21 PM »
erm, isn't this a Westmoreland vase - apparently Blue Mist?
m

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 12:54:32 AM »
Since the president of the Westmoreland Society is a buddy of mine I can find out within a day if I have the OP's permission to send him the URL. If it is he will probably even know the decorator. I'm out of town tomorrow but can contact him tomorrow night if the OP wishes.  Ken

Offline icedgold10

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Mary Gregory
    • USA
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 09:26:23 AM »
That would be great!  Thank you so much! 8)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »
A very similar design on this 'replacements' site described 'flower vase' and an 8" plate.  Westmoreland Mary Gregory Blue Mist 1950-1985

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/WESMAGB.htm

Chris

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »
Emailed my biddy, however I should have just checked eBay first. Just put in "Westmoreland Mary Gregory" & you will see its confirmed Westmoreland...no doubt.  Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand