No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Solifleur vase with ridges and a tube  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Hel

• Members
Solifleur vase with ridges and a tube
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:45:24 PM »
Hi, this one is stunning, it has the tube for the flower than can be removed

It looks modern to me though, any thoughts?

thanks

Helga

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NMott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
Re: Solifleur vase with ridges and a tube
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 11:18:42 PM »
Reminds me of some of Tapio Wirkkala's pieces. It is a beautiful object - except for that tube. Looks like a bog standard glass test tube you'd find in a Chemistry set.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 06:09:18 AM »
Isn't it great? I love this design, it's very elegant. Still need one, though I haven't been adding many solifleurs lately, being more preoccupied with other parts of my collection.

The design is called Skyline. It's by Wiesenthalhütte, a German factory. The basic design was made in 1973, by Klaus Breit, though the catalogue of 1974/1975 shows only the design as a square. Pattern number is 1586 for the round version.

This one was made as a variation of the original design (of 1973) in 1987 (when it shows up in the catalogue). The test tube is also proof of the later date, the original square designs had normal holes in them, in the late 80's Wiesenthalhütte used the tubes instead.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Hel

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 10:42:52 AM »
Thanks astrid!

finnally signed in to see your reply, yes it is a great design, I dont use my vases so i can remove the "test tube"..looks stunnig as a sculpturual piece then.

many thanks

Helga

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 04:30:53 AM »
Well, I'd keep the tube around in case you ever want to sell it. It's incomplete without it.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand