No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass bird, is it what it says it is? Help needed please.  (Read 4405 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Glass bird, is it what it says it is? Help needed please.
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:42:20 PM »
I collect glass birds and am looking to start buying pieces that will be good investments.

I have heard that Vistossi birds an fetch a good price.

This one has a very low start price, but looks so like a Pukeberg  glass bird that has been 'doctored'. Am I being  too sceptical?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mid-Century-Modern-Vistosi-Alessandro-Pianon-1960s-Glass-Bird-Sculpture-murano-/290764341093

This one is also listed, but already has some bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/unusual-vintage-Alessandro-Pianon-Vistosi-Pulcino-murano-Glass-Bird-Sculpture-/251133963470

And a third:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Alessandr-o-Pianon-Italian-Vistosi-Pulcino-1960s-Glass-Bird-Sculpture-/310423287095?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4846ab7537

Which somehow looks rather expensive??

Any advice welcome.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Glass bird, is it what it says it is? Help needed please.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:05:18 PM »
Hi Rosie, I know its not normal protocol to comment on live auctions, however, in my opinion you are wise to be sceptical in this instance. Both of these ebay accounts (first two links above) are actually the same person, just to mention they also have another two ebay accounts active at present.

I have reported this member on more than one occasion to ebay, although nothing seems to happen. They also seem to have a keen interest in using a dremel particularly for Nuutajarvi Notsjo Kaj Franck items, here's another one of their current offerings....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251130511248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1992wt_1186

Just to be clear, the seller in your third link is unrelated to the other two.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »
The third one is spot on, the real thing, not sure it is that overpriced.

The first one looks like it is a Pukeberg napkin holder with bodged legs, glued not even soldered.... I imagine the eye is glue on.

The second one is not Vistossi and surprise surprise the way that the legs attach to the body is not shown. Looks nice enough but I know not who made it. Bit on the small side I think. Plus more glue.

Any seller that uses photographs that are out of focus should nearly always be avoided, they are either attempting to deceive or incompetent - if they can not manage a camera what else do they have trouble with?

John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 09:20:10 PM »
Two nice Caithness vases they have there, pity they were scarred with a dremel. I have noticed a lot of dremel work in that part of the country too...

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 02:43:28 AM »
Agree with John about the third one. The other two remind me of the two "Vistosi" pieces we saw a couple of weeks ago. Thank you for the good chuckle. Especially like the feet on the second one.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 02:44:58 AM »
Just noticed the first one has the same feet, but with white goo instead of black.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 03:23:14 AM »
The third is perfect and the pricing is about what they should be. One sold from Australia about 2 years ago for around $3,000.00 (or more). They are definitely a good investment if you can get the real deal.

The first 2 though, what a laugh!

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 05:28:28 AM »
Two nice Caithness vases they have there, pity they were scarred with a dremel. I have noticed a lot of dremel work in that part of the country too...

Nice apart from one of the rims which is almost serrated.
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 06:56:34 AM »
Both of these ebay accounts (first two links above) are actually the same person, just to mention they also have another two ebay accounts active at present.

I have reported this member on more than one occasion to ebay, although nothing seems to happen. They also seem to have a keen interest in using a dremel particularly for Nuutajarvi Notsjo Kaj Franck items, here's another one of their current offerings....

I've reported this member too. If you do a litle research on their feedback you can see the "blank" items they have bought on one account that as Greg says then have the dremel treatment & then appear with lalique, Nuutajarvi, Tapio Wirkkala, Kosta or M'dina sigs for sale via a different account!

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 08:21:46 AM »
Here's an example, first link the two unsigned Caithness vases purchased from one account and the second link same vases sold under their other account, this time with dremel added signature...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=310398459287&nma=true&rt=nc&si=Gc1Fs%252BtvbER3x6qYx9lrfYNW05s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_969

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251130511248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1992wt_1186

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand