No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clear pressed glass trinket set with 'stirrup' candlesticks - ID, please?  (Read 3610 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Clear pressed glass trinket set with tray, 2 candlesticks and a single lidded pot.

The candlesticks have a distinctive 'stirrup' shape, and the lidded pot has unusual radially-ribbed finial (rather like an upside-down open Chinese fan). I'm simply presuming that the tray is a match, but the radial ribbing certainly echoes the decoration on the other pieces.

I've seen similar candlesticks many times before (but I can never remember them being attributed to a particular manufacturer).

ID's, opinions or suggestions, please? 

(Permission for re-use of these images on the GMB granted by ramraid1)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
There is an eBay listing with a Czech label on one of the stirrup shaped candlesticks;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Candlesticks-Czech-Lead-Crystal-Glass-Classic-Art-Deco-Design-/154392896348?nma=true&si=5fW8OUW2jKVpHvPbVqQVLncJq0E%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I can't see the label in the labels gallery and it's somewhat worn in the picture, seems genuine though, does anyone recognise it?

The pieces appear rather like Reich to me, very nice heavy cut pieces, I wont be buying as I already have them.

Mystery Trinket Set 96

https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=101

Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
That logo (it's upsidedown) appears on the covers of Hermanova Hut, Rosice and Libochovice Glassexport catalogs.  It's also on the Bohemia Glass label, but I can't find an example to post at the moment.  According to Marcus's book it's the Glassexport logo.

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • England, UK
That logo (it's upsidedown) appears on the covers of Hermanova Hut, Rosice and Libochovice Glassexport catalogs.  It's also on the Bohemia Glass label, but I can't find an example to post at the moment.  According to Marcus's book it's the Glassexport logo.

That's great thank you LinzC, so we can say it's very likely Czech but we are no closer to the actual maker.

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
I have these same pieces (unless the pot is a different size, mine's 11.5cm Dia.) and from what I've seen on GTS, have thought they might either be Libochovice or Roscice. 

I've not thought of them as Reich, as Reich only produced one set (8974), that looks anything similar.  I have wondered if that set, ascribed to the 30's might be mis-placed?

My thinking was that this Mystery set is probably Czech, but more likely Libochovice or Roscice, both of whom are shown to have made similar thick heavy sets.  Often with elaborately lobed trays, "futuristic" candlesticks and fantastic finials.  All dated to the 50's, and overwhelmingly only found in clear glass.  (Another reason for my thinking the 8974 set might be mis-placed as it's among a series of more delicate and colourful 30's pieces).

My only qualms about my reasoning to date is that with one exception these hefty sets come with tray, candlesticks, two sizes of bowl and ring holder.  It seems strange that although the pieces shown seem easy enough to find, the other pieces are not.  So perhaps it's none of the above.

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • England, UK
Hi theElench, thank you for your valid points, I can't remember why I thought this set seemed Reichish but I had thought this before the label came to light, hopefully it will come back to me soon.  ???

My pot also has an 11.5cm diameter. The set does actually seem to be cut glass to me and not pressed, in which case do we have any cut glass sets catalogued by Libochovice Rosice or Reich? Which Czech companies did cut glass sets? I'm no expert on cut glass, also this would make the thread title wrong.

Additionally there is an alternative pot, this pot has a finial which is the same shape as the inner shape of the stirrup on the candlestick, plus a comparitively plain ribbed ring tree.

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • England, UK
Found an alternative pot plus ring stand sold recently on eBay. Link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1940s-1950s-Pressed-Clear-Glass-Deco-Pot-amp-Ring-Holder-Dressing-Table-/372801488445?hash=item56ccb3463d%3Ag%3AI5EAAOSwXHhdmeFl&nma=true&si=5fW8OUW2jKVpHvPbVqQVLncJq0E%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The seller states "These are made to a very high quality which almost succeeds in simulating cut glass"

Yes it fooled me!

Ring stand seen twice with this set.

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
That's very interesting and helpful Jayne, it explains why I've not found the "missing" pieces of the set.  I've been looking for smaller pots with similar finials.

Is it possible that the pots and ring holder in the listing are the rest of the set and not an alternative pot?   The seller gives the pot diameter as 10cms.  Looking at similar Libochovice and Roscice sets on GTS, the ratio of 11.5cms and 10cms pot sizes is similar to the others.  The differences can be anywhere between 1cm and 2.5cms.   Although not common, there are other examples of sets with differing tops to pots.

I struggle with what is cut glass and what is pressed.  The reasons for my thinking this set is pressed were that the underside of all four pot feet has a radial line that I thought "must" be the remains of a seam  Looking at the inside of the "stirrup" there is a central line all around the middle.  Difficult to accurately cut on curving surfaces? --  I though it easier explained simply as a polished seam where the mould would ensure an accurate line?   

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • England, UK
Hi theElench, I agree the set must be pressed glass and yes I suppose it's possible that the alternative pots are in fact the smaller size pots for the set, some sets only had one pot though, for instance Lib 1872-1874 and 1970-1973.

Now a curveball, there is an alternative tray, no links for one right now but will post when I find.  ;D

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
 :o   :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia