No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ditchfield Frog is this signed  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Cazza

• Members
Ditchfield Frog is this signed
« on: August 25, 2012, 01:42:51 PM »
Can anyone tell me is this a ditchfield signature on the base, it has quite a few scratches so is hard to make out.
thank you
Cazza

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Ditchfield Frog is this signed
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 02:08:06 PM »
I can't expand your image to see it, but I would very much doubt it.
His writing is neat and rounded, each letter clearly formed and legible. He doesn't tend to sign paperweights - just unique pieces, although how things are marked did change over the years.
Have a read of his website!

http://www.glasform.com/
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 08:32:08 AM »
Thank you will have a read
Cazza

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »
Hi Cazza,
               the frog looks right but the scratchings on the base look all wrong. A few things to consider:-

1) Signed "J. Ditchfield", numbered and Glasform on base means John designed and made the piece.
2) Signed and Glasform means John designed the piece but it was made by one of his colleagues.
3) Glasform alone means it was designed by a Glasform colleague and made by a colleague.
4) NO GLASFORM either means pre-1982 at another works or NOT John's.

Since this sort of frog design was not made before Glasform, then if no Glasform on base, it is possible that it is a similar design by someone else. Please note, that without attributing any blame or responsibility, John did have an employee leave and start making "similar designs".

Hope this helps,

Tony

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 12:03:36 PM »
Thanks, Tony, but would you please clarify for me what you mean by condition 2)?

"2) Signed and Glasform means John designed the piece but it was made by one of his colleagues."

What is meant by the word "signed"? does that mean "J. Ditchfield" is written on it? or simply "Ditchfield"? and who would have written it?
Confusion can arise when folk use the word "signed" (which means the artist's personal signature) when what they are referring to is a piece which is marked - the name of the designer or studio written on the piece by somebody who works there.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 03:40:28 PM »
Hi thank you for your input, there is a label which is a bit torn but is definitely the Ditchfield one it has Glass ????? English on it i am sure its a ditchfield label there is also a number which i cannot read either as that is also partially torn. Perhaps an earlier frog then? I can only seem to find the ones that are a teal sort of colour this one is blue iridescent not sure where i can find out when it was made.
Cazza

Cazza

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 04:00:52 PM »
This is an image of the base of a "unique" piece - designed and made by John, signed, numbered and marked.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »
Contact Glasform, they will be able to tell if it is theirs or not. Email address lower down the page here: http://www.glasform.com/contact.html

John

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
Hi John
Have resent the email to the website, the first bounced back, no idea why, I cannot click a link to email as it goes to outlook express and i do not use it.
Cazza
Cazza

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 04:43:45 PM »
It's definitely a Glasform frog, John. Cazza wants to know how old it is, I think, and to have the marking confirmed or not.

However,  paperweighs of all kinds were produced in vast numbers, Cazza - they're sort of the "bread and butter" of the studio and it's very highly unlikely any single one of them is a unique, John-made-and-signed piece.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand