No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harland weight  (Read 2948 times)

Offline SophieB

• Members
Harland weight
« on: August 26, 2012, 12:55:40 PM »
Hi everybody,

Can someone explain why did people bid so enthusiastically on this Harland weight?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261084252128?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It is a good weight but no hidden gem... I am a bit baffled.

SophieB

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
Re: Harland weight
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
Hi Sophie

I must admit that I bid on this weight and when I checked my records the last 5 Harland fish I recorded on Ebay went for

£277, £410, £336, £187 and £362 so it was not far above the norm.

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 03:41:38 PM »
Hi Roy,

Many thanks for the info.

I did not bid on it (and never intended to) so I am not bothered. I was interested in the green complex canes in the garland so I saved it to my list for future reference.  I always thought the Harland fish weights to be worth £250-£280. Hence my surprise!!!

By the way, as we are talking Harland fishes, do you know whether Harland made many miniature fish weights? I own two (which look to be a pair as they are very similar and were bought in the same lot at auction) but I have never seen another Harland miniature fish weight. The only Harland miniatures I have ever seen were all millefiori weights.

SophieB

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »
Hi Sophie
Willie Manson told me he made most of the H weights leaving Paul free to make his weights for Paul Jokelson and I wonder if people think Paul made these H weights ?

Dave

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 04:50:31 PM »
Hi Sophie

I have never seen a miniature fish weight by Paul. As you say he made miniature millefiori and I have five of these but I must look out for a Miniature Fish unless you have the only two!!!

I am sure Dave is right and Willie would have made the majority of the Harland Fish weights .You can see this from the later Willie Fish made under his own name.

Roy

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 05:39:28 PM »
Hi Roy,

Many thanks for that. It confirms what I thought: my miniature fish weights are quite rare. Still, I do not think that they are unique (so to speak) because I vaguely remember Alan (monsieur Tropdevin) telling me that he sold one once. 

SophieB

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 09:21:04 PM »
Hi Dave,

I am sure that you are right: some of the bidders must think that Paul made these. I personally do not care whether Paul or one of his assistants made the (few) Harland weights that I own. I bought them because I loved them.

Still, I am not so naive to think that these considerations have no impact on their value.

SophieB

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 09:47:32 AM »
Advertised as Paul Ysart i am sure  some of the bidders thought it was , also a lot of people just love pretty fish .

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »
Hi

I think we are back to the old question of if someone ie Paul Ysart sets up a studio called Harland and employs some assistants who make some of, or parts of, the weights can they be called Paul Ysart weights?

Paul Stankard weights contain bees by one of his daughters, Root men by Donofrio, Words by Will Stokes, etc,etc but they are usually called Stankard weights !!! or maybe they get round it by calling it Stankard Studio

Roy

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
Good point Roy and another example is the Scotia weights which are often sold as Manson pieces but in fact they were made by a team working for Willie at Kilwinning.
Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand