No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness dragonfly C11G  (Read 7165 times)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: Caithness dragonfly C11G
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:01:01 AM »
Noughts and Crosses is an unlimited design - so seconds are quite normal.

Just a hint: there is a Caithness online catalogue on Scotland's Glass - several years still missing, but already 2669 (as of today) Caithness items depicted. Information includes designer, year of issue, edition size (plus more in many cases).
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tamefox

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 11:10:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure Colin also stated in print that LE seconds were crushed - either in Reflections or an earlier newsletter.

This is also the fourth CIIG Dragonfly of this type I have seen on ebay in the last 7 years.

- maybe the same one going round and round - but I don't think so....

Perhaps it was such a new technique that Colin couldn't bear to destroy them - rather add a slight variation?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 06:47:03 PM »
Don't know enough about the original one to comment on the added frosted pattern but here are some more photos showing it if anyone's got one to compare?
Thank you for the help so far.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/Untitled24#

Chris

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 09:41:29 PM »
I thought that 'Noughts and Crosses' was a very unlimited edition....

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 09:39:52 AM »
Don't know enough about the original one to comment on the added frosted pattern but here are some more photos showing it if anyone's got one to compare?
Thank you for the help so far.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/Untitled24#

Chris

I had one of these weights which was also a second, Chris.  Mine had the frosted markings round the bottom, same as yours has, so I don't think that's an out-of-the-ordinary addition, but is part of the design.  Mine had a piece of frit in the bottom, which was why it was a second. 
Leni

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 10:06:02 AM »
I did think that too Leni thought maybe the pattern round the base  represented flora or maybe water? but Wuff assures me this was not on the limited production run, anyone got one.

Chris

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »
Mine had the frosted markings round the bottom, same as yours has, so I don't think that's an out-of-the-ordinary addition, but is part of the design.
Well - will depend on how you define "out-of-the-ordinary" and "part of the design": the "original design" does not have the frosted feature - but (if what I was told is correct) this was added to LE weights with a minor(!) flaw, to make it sufficiently different from the limited edition design, and thus be allowed to sell it as second. Consequently you could call it
- "part of the design" of the weight as (unlimited) second, and it will not be
- "out-of-the-ordinary" ... unless minor flaws would be out-of-the-ordinary.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 09:42:11 AM »
(if what I was told is correct) this was added to LE weights with a minor(!) flaw, to make it sufficiently different from the limited edition design, and thus be allowed to sell it as second.

This is very interesting information, Wolf.  Were you told whether this was a general rule which applied to all seconds of limited editions?  I had always thought that the CIIG on the base was the only thing that made seconds different from the perfect weights, and that differences such as leaving a weight un-faceted were simply because it was not worth expending additional time and effort on a second, rather than an attempt to make it deliberately different.  It seems a little strange to me to deliberately add a feature such as the etching around the dragonfly weight - obviously involving more time and effort! - just in order to sell it as a second! 
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 12:39:24 PM »
But it allows folk to train in etching technique, Leni!  :)
(I've been through all this before and Wuff explained it, with my FireDance weight - a second, which is etched around the base with hearts. It is also a nightmare to photograph.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 02:49:24 PM »
It seems a little strange to me to deliberately add a feature such as the etching around the dragonfly weight - obviously involving more time and effort! - just in order to sell it as a second!
You have to see it the other way round: seconds of limited weights are a no-go ... so the alternatives were
1. throw it away, or
2. modify it to make it different from the LE design.
In other words - with comparatively little effort you got something which could be sold, instead if discarded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand