No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian oil lamp applied cherries, flowers etc custard glass Bohemian English?  (Read 3150 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I bought this yesterday at a flea market.  It's a large piece and pretty amazing, good quality and fully polished pontil mark (I angled the photo to show it so it might look as it isn't but it is). 
Measures about 7 1/2" across by 7" high (inc lamp attachment).  Definitely very old, the feet are worn to matt practically.

Applied cherries, flowers,branches and leaves.  The leaves are green and amber and pink and amber.  The flowers pink and white with amber centres.
It does glow green under black light although not as green as other pieces I've had - I think this is because the inner cream layer is uranium glass but it has been cased with an overlay of bright green fading to cream layer which does not have uranium content.

I thought it might help sort out the Bohemian v English debate on these pieces because of the green casing to clear - I've only seen this type of cased on applied glass once or twice in yellow to clear so far - and that was also unidentified I think even in terms of country?

Gullivers contains many of these vases with applied decoration but does not id these in terms of country at all as far as I can see, never mind maker  - and although the book is 'Victorian Decorative Glass British Designs 1850-1914'  it does contain some Bohemian Glass and some is identified by maker in the actual book.

My thoughts are it is English.
I've seen this type of opaque opaline/custard glass with applied decoration id'd elsewhere as Welz (Bohemian) and Boulton and Mills and Stevens and Williams (UK).
I don't think I've seen this type of piece id as Kralik, although the see through and iridescent pieces with applied cherries and flowers have been (see Truitts Bohemian Glass 1880-1940)

Any thoughts welcome?  Signs of envy and gushing comments also welcome  ;D
It was better than I remembered when I opened it at home - always a lovely surprise :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
My guess would be English and possibly Boulton and Mills from the bicolour leaves. You often have to shine your UV light through custard to be certain of the glow.
Mrs Green here

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Very nice,I'd go with English,do you think it was converted to a lamp at a later date?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
  ;D thanks both
No, I'm sure (well 99.99%) it isn't a convert.  It was made as lamp font. 
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Close up pics of decoration
m

bfg

lovin it m - great find, well done

cheers!
only slightly mrs green

Mel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thank you  :)
Adding this jug registered design to Boulton and Mills, because it is pink cased over white and so are the cherries on the oil lamp (something possibly unusual as most of the ones I've found tend to be transparent pink glass)
http://www.vaselineglass.org/boulton&millslg.jpg
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://home.earthlink.net/~verredart6/glass/S&W.html
scrolling down on here again I found a shaded blue to white vase with frill that appears to have similar cherries and flowers and the bi coloured leaves on id'd as Stevens and Williams.
I've been through the books I have and can't find a reference for this - anyone know which book these might be in please?
many thanks
m

Offline keith

• Members
Just found a picture in a small 'Miller's Guide' showing a shaded green to white vase with crimped rim,applied flowers in pinky white,amber stems and leaves with cherries,sound similar? they say it was by S&W's but not sure where they get the attribution,have a picture but I've had my wrists slapped before for posting pic's  without permission :o ::) ;D ;D so I'd go with S&W's ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you Keith, that's really kind of you to keep a look out for me :)   I'm very happy to go with Stevens and Williams -  but it would be good to find a pattern reference of some sort as well.
What is the book please btw?
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand