Author Topic: Pinchbeck Paperweight conundrum  (Read 422 times)

Offline SimonD

• Members
Pinchbeck Paperweight conundrum
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:16:26 PM »
This 'pinchbeck' paperweight typically depicts a scene (anyone like to guess at a literary connection?) but untypically has a metal plaque of two highly lustred metals. Does anyone know what the two metals are? Is the base metal 'silver' with 'gold' highlights, or the other way around?

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Pinchbeck Paperweight conundrum
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 05:19:07 PM »
Can't help with the metals but is that a camel and are those palm trees,it might help with the story ;D

Offline SimonD

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
Yes, it's a camel. The scene seems to depict someone being sold as a slave. One of the group of men on the left is being paid by a man in a turban. Another man in a tuban is leading a hunched man away. A third tubanned man is standing by the camel under the palm tree.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »
Maybe a story from scripture?

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • My Paperweights Website
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »
Hi

It is a well know Pinchbeck design - I have had a couple the same, though in plain gold colour.  Regarding the metals, if you Google Pinchbeck alloy you can get the basic information on the composition of the alloy. I think what you have here is a Pinchbeck metal substrate that someone has 'silver plated' for greater contrast and interest. 

Alan
Alan
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."  Abraham Lincoln.

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.
 http://www.pwts.co.uk

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand