No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Boxed Set of Miniature Chinese Paperweights - 1950s?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Boxed Set of Miniature Chinese Paperweights - 1950s?
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:18:09 AM »
Posting this to see if anyone can add any information about this eBay lot.  I've never seen a boxed set of Chinese paperweights before.  In fact, prior to this, I would have identified some of these paperweights as early (1930s) and others as 1980 or later.  The box has a 1950s feel to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180955611877

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Boxed Set of Miniature Chinese Paperweights - 1950s?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 11:57:54 AM »

Hi Allan.

Interesting: I note the paperweights shown in the picture on the lid of the box are different from those within the box, which I agree seem to be from very different eras.  I suspect they are not the original weights.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »
The boxes would likely be generic though

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:43:18 PM »
On the millefiori weights and the relative dating, I have always understood that the millefiori designs are often the same in post 1970 as in 1930, but with the major difference being the color intensity of the glass. The 1930's canes often have that "weak watered down" look, whereas the post 1970's canes are much more vibrant and intense in color opacity. I would have dated all of these from the post 1970's.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »
Hi Andy. I am working on an article for the PCA Bulletin on Chinese weights pre 1970. My feeling is that the flowers are significantly earlier than that, as is the scramble, whereas the two left hand millefiori are somewhat earlier, and the two right hand millefiori very much 1960s - 1970s.  But if anyone can help shed lights on exact dates, that would be really helpful (and thank you to Allan Port for help already given).

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 02:30:12 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  Don't be so quick to assume that this is a married set.  I'm going to stay open to the possibility that it provides new dating information that should be considered. 

One thing is these are really small, about 1 1/2" in diameter.

Now that we know there is one set, let's hope that others turn up.  We can compare contents. 

Thanks again,

Allan

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 04:35:20 PM »
With a number of weights of the same design, do you not think this was just a retailers pack rather than to be sold as a set to one buyer?

Nick

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 09:52:41 PM »
Yes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand