No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Candlesticks RD 581523 - registrant and precise registration date, please?  (Read 3752 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A pair of clear pressed glass candlesticks, 9 inches tall, currently listed on eBay at
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320971694028?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

They carry RD number 581523 (which should have been registrered in March/April 1911), but this does not appear on the online list at
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos07.htm
which I realise is somewhat edited.

Can anyone tell me. please, if this RD number is in the Blue book? If so, what is the precise date of registration and the registrant.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Hi Fred, it's not in the Blue Book either, so it's either missed off or registered in another category. Datewise, the number fits to between 25 March and 4 April 1911.

Pamela has this same candlestick http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/kerzenhalter/05288.html and it's Streit, I think catalogue pattern 3642, in the 1930 catalogue: http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Streit-1930.106+B6YmFja1BJRD0xMDYmcHJvZHVjdElEPTQ2ODMmZGV0YWlsPQ__.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Wow, what a result, Anne!  Thank you for your efforts (especially for the links).

I had looked at Pamela's candlesticks (but obviously not carefully enough - probably concentrating my search on the 'usual suspects' rather than looking properly - salutory lesson again).

I thought the design may possibly have been registered to an agent or importer (perhaps Jules Lang & Son, or someone like Hoskins and Rose for Libochovice) and that the Blue Book may have given a registrant but not necessarily the manufacturer.

Now we have the unusual reverse situation of a manufacturer but not the registrant. Not many German pieces with RD numbers.

These are the first Streit pieces I have come across. The candlesticks would seem to be standalone pieces rather than linked to any trinket sets.

As the candlesticks are of German manufacture, would it be helpful if I put a linked topic in the 'German Glass' section of GMB?

I will let the eBay lister know of the ID, and seek his permission to add the images to this topic in due course. I will also seek permission to add the images to the RD number photo database for further reference.   

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Duplicated topics can lead to difficulties Fred (not least with search engines who dislike such things) so it's probably best left in one place. The board's Search function should help flag up the topic irrespective of where it is on the board itself, though.  They are a standalone candlestick, not part of a trinket set, so we should perhaps move this over to Germany.... :)

It might be worth seeing if someone (Paul, perhaps, on his next visit?) could check that RD number and see who the registrant was, as that might give us some useful information too.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
They are very old-fashioned to still be in a 1930 catalogue...

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
True enough - Streit designs do seem to be a bit more old-fashioned though, do you not think?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand