No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: milk glass jug Sowerby? help please  (Read 2814 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: milk glass jug Sowerby? help please
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2015, 10:06:25 PM »
My original post is pottery, that was resolved months ago, even after owning thousands of pieces of glass it was tricky to tell it apart, this post should have been dead and buried ages ago, done and dusted, pottery.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2015, 01:39:34 PM »
After my previous post i feel a stupid showing this, i have found one in blue but not sure if there are any others on here.

The surface is pitted, it has small speckles of dirt in the glass, cracks and the base and plate have the Sowerby mark.

I think this would be described as a cake stand?.

The stand is six inches in height, 5 1/2 inches across the rim and the plate 9 3/4 inches across the rim, the two together have a total height of 7 inches.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2015, 02:44:29 PM »
I like it  -  useful and not that common I don't think  -  looks to be something from the factory's June 1882 pattern book IX.

Images of this may well appear in other places, but having just a quick look it's certainly in Sheilah Murray's volume on pressed glass 'The Peacock and the Lions'
The lady comments..............""The basket weave pattern etc. etc.......... Two varieties of plate were produced - one larger and deeper which was sold with a separate three footed stand (Plate 17), the other was a shallower plate without a stand.        Plates were made in various colours but pale blue slag and white are the colours often found nowadays and only occasionally are black, coloured malachite, olive green or iridescent examples available.""

Basket weave pattern plates (presumably the shallow type) have been consistently quite common over the years when rummaging at boot sales, in the U.K., but I don't recall seeing the stand.
There's no mention of the word cakes, but would imagine that was a common use for these, especially when the stand is incorporated - perfect for French Fancies.

Not sure, but I'd imagine there's a picture on the Thistlewood CD catalogue.             Don't specifically see the word 'stand' in Simon Cottle's booklet under 1882, so perhaps just included with the word 'dish' of which there are two in that year.

P.S.          Had a look in the Kew Archives, but don't see this pairing or even the dishes on their own.               This is Fred's area rather than mine, but taking a bit of an educated guess  -  since it's quite possible that the basket weave pattern may have been Registered some time earlier than these dishes were produced, the factory didn't then see the need to Registered other shapes, with basket weave, which were produced later etc.   
I'll have a look on the CD catalogue some later unless someone beats me to it.       

P.P.S.             This last item will be better in British Glass.       

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2015, 04:34:24 PM »
Not in the Sowerby pattern book IX (1882) as such, but from their pattern no. 1102 (an unregistered design shown on page 1 of pattern book IX).

Shown in detail on the Thistlewood Sowerby CD-ROM catalogue Vol. 3 – ‘Sowerby Glass in Pictures’, Index Page 1:

Another ‘basketweave’ pattern, was given the same list no. (1102) as the novelty/spill vases.

The top and base are separate, and there are two styles of top – a flattish plate, and a cupped-up bowl shape. They have been found with the top and base glued together, but whether this was done at the factory or later, is unclear.

The bases not only matched the tops – they were also sold separately as pin trays.

See several other examples at
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=1001&page=9

Fred

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2015, 06:05:12 PM »
Thanks Fred, i got the Victorian vol one today, will get the third vol next.
Chris Parry

Offline MHT

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 07:22:04 PM »
The jug is not this stuff is it?
I say 'this stuff' because I don't know what 'it' is. It is Victorian and you see, or used to see many pieces of it around, either in white/cream, salmon pink and possibly blue, sometimes with guilded decoration. I have a swan in this material which feels and rings like glass, but is not quite, it is almost as if very finely crushed glass is used to make the base material. It is not pressed into a mould as most of the designs are too complicated to be made that way, and there are a lot of different designs.
A few years ago David Hill, who ran the Pressed Glass List (who remembers that?) told me the name of the manufacturer, which I have long since forgotten.
I have often thought it would be a good thing to collect because it is cheap and there are many different and interesting designs. Just a shame we don't know material or the manufacturer.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand