No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with Caithness paperweight please  (Read 2071 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Help with Caithness paperweight please
« on: September 01, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »
Can anyone tell me the name of this weight please it's another from the job lot which are all either named or Ltd Editions this one is just scratched C11G on the base. It is the green swirly bubble one in the album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/ScottishPaperweights

Thank you as always Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Help with Caithness paperweight please
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 02:30:48 PM »
Perhaps a Cauldron second?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 04:52:56 PM »
Don't think it's Cauldron Christine, though I did check that one out. looked at loads in Scotlandlandsglass cannot seem to find a match, this one the  ribbon starts at the base and spirals upwards and forms a 'net' at the top with silver bubble 'trapped' in it?

Chris

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 06:23:19 PM »
How about Spinaway - an unlimited design from 1983?
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:25:44 PM »
Odd? I searched by product name and went through from A-Z only 3 came up Spindrift, Spinning Jenny and Spinning Satellites must not be doing the search right?
thank you.

http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6&category_id=&page=shop.browse&keyword=caithness+paperweight&limit=50&limitstart=1100

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »
Hmmm ... Frank might be the one to explain the technical details - I'm just guessing: I repeated your search, and got (like you) 1400 hits; there might be a limit of hits (e.g. 1400) when the search engine stops - as there are 2669 Caithness items in the database, the vast majority being paperweights (there are a few jewellery bits as well) ... so the 1400 resulting from this search are just above 50% of what's there.

If you don't know the name, you much better look at categories - which e.g. includes a list of 984 weights with bubbles (have a look yourself at this link for other categories). Whilst the numbers in those categories will grow larger with time (and categories may therefore have to be divided), at the moment they are all below 1400.

If you don't find a weight in our Caithness Catalogue - this does by no means imply it's not a Caithness weight! Check the status page (seems to require login - not sure why) for what's online up to today: we have a fair backlog of images in the queue - 2669 Caithness items online today ... images of 4566 Caithness paperweights in my database at home (for comparison: the Charlton catalogue lists 2911): if you have some time to spare for this project, and some minimal computer experience, your help would be most welcome ::).
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand