No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart work archives  (Read 3743 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Ysart work archives
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »
The recent discovery of the Moncrieff Glassworks company records (9 boxes) housed in Perth A.K. Bell library has opened up a whole new avenue of research into the history of Moncrieff Glassworks.
I visited the library last week just too see what material they had pertaining to Moncrieff’s, the one document that drew my attention was the Employees ledger. The information give in this document now requires an update of the chronologically order of the dates in reference to the Ysart’s employment dates at Moncrieff’s.
Below is the layout of the works ledger, I have only used names that had connection to Monart. All the writing was done with pen and ink apart from Paul's leaving date (6/4/62) which is in biro, every employee signed their own name in the ledger.

The first update is the date that Salvador, Paul and Augustine started at Moncrieff, up to now it was believed it was 1922. It should also be noted that Augustine started in 1921 and went along with Paul to one of the Shore Road buildings that Moncrieff’s had in the harbour area in Perth. Both came back to the main factory at St Catherine Road after a year at Shore Road, to what I presume, was making laboratory glass (job Lab).
Vincent started in 25/12/22 straight from school and began work in the Hendries Dept. Antoine also went from school to Moncrieff and started as a message boy.
A couple of interesting asides was to find out that Paul’s son also worked at Moncrieff as a carrier in 1938 and to see that Jesus Braso signed his name Joseph Braso.in the ledger.

NAME & ADDRESS                                  DATE                                WORKS
 NAME                       ADDRESS                     OF LAST EMPLOYER         D.O.B               STARTED          JOB          NUMBER

Salvador Ysart       1 Lickley street                                                       30/1/1878       15/2/21       BLOWER          215
Paul Ysart              1 Lickley Street                   left 6/4/62                    7/6/1904         15/2/21                             243
Augustine Ysart     1 Lickley Street                                                        9/5/1906         15/2/1921   CARRIER         302

Further down on same page
Salavador Ysart     c/o 4 St Katherine Court                                          30/1/1878       1/2/1922      BLOWER          205

Next page
Paul Ysart            Cross Street                         From Shore                    7/6/1904        29/8/1922     Lab               206
Augustine Ysart    Cross Street                         From Shore                    9/5/1906        29/8/1922     Lab               255
Further down on same page
Vincent Ysart        Cross Street                         School                           1/1/1909        25/12/1922  Hendries        164
                                                                                                                                                             Dept
Few pages on (1925)
Antoine Ysart       Cross Street                          School                           11/5/1911      9/7/1925     Message        143
                                                                                                                                                             Boy
Few pages on (1938)
Paul Ysart (junior)  Eden Bank                                                                 22/5/1924     11/7/1938      Carrier         220
                             Abbey Road
                               Scone

Next page (1939)
Joseph Braso                                                                                                                 28/12/1939                    214
Not sure where this should been posted here in British Glass or in Glass Archives.
Gary

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Ysart work archives
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 03:03:51 PM »
Here is fine Gary, thank you. What a great discovery too!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 04:00:55 PM »
Made a typo error the date that Salvador, Paul and Augustine started at Moncrieff's should read 15/2/21 and not 15/12/21.
Anne is it possible to amend my original post to suit correct date.
Gary

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »
Done for you as requested Gary. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »
Thanks Anne, it was important to get that date correct.

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 12:01:38 PM »
A few more names to be added to the Monart workforce.
NAME                  ADDRESS                      DATE STARTED         DATE LEFT        JOB              WORKS NUMBER   

Frank Stewart     9 Milne Street                 1934                             ?                Grinder

Charles Young     Ross Farm Glencarse      31/3/47                         ?                    ?                       214
                          9a Hunters Crescent                                                                   

Charles Young     Ross Farm Glencarse      14/4/52                  30/3/62                ?

John Jones                   ?                            27/5/47                                           Lab

John Smith         Saint Martins Road          24/4/56                  28/766                 ?

Frank Stewart did among other jobs  at Moncrieff's, was  the grinding of the base and pontil on Monart pieces.
Charles Young was Paul Ysart apprentice, he left Moncrieff's to do his National Service and returned on 14/4/52.
John Jones http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/DominicP.htm
John Smith worked with Paul Ysart and Charles Young in the Monart workshop in 1958.
Through the years less information was recorded in the Moncrieff Glasswork Ledger.
The image is from Perth Museum Archives of F Stewart in the grinding shop. Reproduced with the kind permission of Perth Museum.

Gary

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 05:12:14 PM »
Hi Gary

I stumbled on your post today when doing some research on paperweights.

The Moncrieff employees ledger is an amazing find and as you point out
changes several dates and also places of work. Also interesting to find
several new names ( to me) associated with  Monart.

I assume that 1 Lickey St  is one of the tenements that Moncrieffs
maintained for their workforce? Incidently its right next to the
A.K. Bell library!

Also of interest is that Paul Ysart Junior address is given as the
same address posted elsewhere for Salvador and Enriqueta.
I wonder whether Paul senior and Margaret were also at the
same Scone address as it appears that Salvador and Paul senior
didn't see eye to eye at Moncrieffs.

I have taken the photo you posted from Perth museum and
photoshopped it to correct the perspective and also converted it
to monochrome which I suspect is the original colouring.

Posted below

Best regards

Derek

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 06:27:40 PM »
Hi Derek

I assume that 1 Lickey St  is one of the tenements that Moncrieffs
maintained for their workforce? Incidently its right next to the
A.K. Bell library!

In the ledger it does show that other workers did reside in Lickley Street, but have no proof Moncrieff maintained them for their workers.
Lickley street is only about 200 meters from A K Bell library.

Also of interest is that Paul Ysart Junior address is given as the
same address posted elsewhere for Salvador and Enriqueta.
I wonder whether Paul senior and Margaret were also at the
same Scone address as it appears that Salvador and Paul senior
didn't see eye to eye at Moncrieffs.

Paul and Margaret lived next door to Salvador and Enriquete in Scone. See link below (half way down the page)
http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/DominicP.htm

I have taken the photo you posted from Perth museum and
photoshopped it to correct the perspective and also converted it
to monochrome which I suspect is the original colouring.

Thanks for doing that

Gary

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:26:33 PM »
Hi Gary

Thanks for the link -  I know the ysartglass site well but being most interested in paperweights I hadn't read that article.

It was Dave Moir who told me about the Moncrieff tenements. I am seeing him shortly and will see if he has any info on their locations.

Best regards

Derek

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »
Hi Gary

Just reading through your post again and notice that you have Vincent starting on 25/12/22  (Christmas day) !

You also show him as working in the Hendries Dept. Any idea what that might be as I can find no trace of what Hendries are.

Best regards

Derek

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand