No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Georges Briard item?  (Read 4927 times)

Offline ChangeLady

• Members
Possible Georges Briard item?
« on: April 03, 2006, 02:00:27 PM »
I have a set of glasses listed for which I don't know the maker. A member has suggested they might be Georges Briard. Doesn't anybody out there know? It's item 7396126899. Thanks.

Beth

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 06:19:38 PM »
Beth I looked at your item and they are nice. I also looked in Pina's book "Designed & Signed 50 & 60s glass, ceramics, and enamel wares. I did not find this particular design. If you look very carefully around the deisign, usually there is a signature. Briard was not the only designer of this style so it could be by someone else. Hope this helps a little Terry

Connie

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 08:56:07 PM »
It should be signed if it is Georges Briard.

Offline ChangeLady

• Members
Thanks. No signature
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 05:12:49 PM »
Connie and Terry, thanks for responding. I've looked all over the glass with a magnifier and can't see a signature. It's such a shame, because they are so beautiful, yet they aren't selling.   :cry:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 06:01:47 PM »
there will not be a signature, Briard never went anywhere close to them. The design of "arab" polo players is actually a traditional Persian motif, and the shape is persian tea glasses. I vote factory made persian bazaar tea glasses with screened decoration.

Connie

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 06:10:37 PM »
Ivo -

When Terry and I talk about the item being signed, we don't mean that Georges Briard actually signed them  :lol:  At least what I meant was that the glasses would have Georges Briard as part of the design or screen printed on them like these Fred Press glasses.

http://www.grayhorseglass.com/items/293810/en6store.html

I don't have any Georges Briard glasses at the moment, but the Fred Press are of the same era and style.

Also the game is probably Cho-gan which was a precursor to what we know as Polo.

I have pendant with similar decoration, hence I looked up the history of the game

http://www.grayhorseglass.com/items/363216/item363216store.html#item

8)

Amazing the infomation yu acquire in this business  :lol:

Offline ChangeLady

• Members
Thank you for so much feedback!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 12:44:45 AM »
Grayhorse,

I checked out the Fred Press items you pointed me to. They in fact look a lot like my glasses, stylewise at least. Can you recommend a good reference book for this genre of glass but not specific to a particular maker? I have a bunch of depression and elegant glass reference books, but nothing about this kind of art glass.

Again, thank you for all this info!

Beth

Connie

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 12:50:01 AM »
Beth - I would recommend the same book that Terry mentioned in this thread earlier - Designed and Signed by Leslie Pina.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand