No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling vase with three legs  (Read 627 times)

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
Jobling vase with three legs
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:26:02 PM »
Hi  Picked this vase up at the local car boot, I know its by Jobling but am I right thinking there are at least three different bases for the same design top half. I've found pictures of some similar but with an added foot and others with the holes on the legs filled in. Then there is mine with open holes and no base!!! Its a beautiful vase, just over ten inches tall. It has a registration number on one leg but its very hard to read.Were they made at different times or all together? Any help please, Cheryl

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Jobling vase with three legs
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:02:12 AM »
Hi Cheryl,

What a great find! This is the original version of Jobling's 11600 'Open Footed Vase'. This type with the skeletal legs proved hard to remove from the mould and was prone to damage, so the base was re-designed with a more conventional round foot.

As far as I'm aware, the modification was made soon after the vase was introduced, hence these original style versions are quite rare.

The registration number should read 796181 - this corresponds to a registration date of 6th September 1934. Not all have the full number. I have been lucky enough to find two of these early examples, one in blue (for which I had to pay a lot!) which has the number and one in pink which has a moulded 'Regn. Applied For' mark. Interestingly the base finish is different on both of mine, the pink one has been ground and polished, while the blue has just had a light fire-polish. Your vase looks to be finished in the same way as my blue one.

There is another vase in a very similar style to this, but it is now believed not to be by Jobling (they turn up in some very un-Joblingy colours and although the pattern is similar the mould details are quite different. In the past I had mistakenly thought they were Jobling and stated as such, hence the confusion). An example appeared on this board a while ago, and Pamela has one on her site here: http://pressglas-pavillon.de/vasen/08008.html 

Steven :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 01:31:20 PM »
congratulations Cheryl  -  wonderful find :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:33:55 PM »
That answers my question nicely. I can't believe it didn't get smashed by the seller, I actually saw it being thrown down on the grass with a load of old junk. Its in lovely condition, I think from a house clearance judging by the rest of the stuff on sale. It will look well next to my large amber bird and panel vase. I love the design of this vase, will be keeping this one!!  ;D    Cheryl

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand