No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling 5000 Fircone set of bowls  (Read 2245 times)

Offline davem

• Members
Jobling 5000 Fircone set of bowls
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:07:54 PM »
Hi , RE Joblings 5000 Pattern Fircone in frosted Uranium Glass .

I have one larger 8 1/2" bowl with eight 5 3/4" bowls.

Were these produced as a dessert set of 9 bowls in total (or more) or was it up to the individual as to desired amount ?

Sorry about pics , I will try better ones tomorrow if you would like some ?
Mine do not have reg number on them  :-\

Many thanks , Dave.

Offline davem

• Members
Re: Jobling 5000 Fircone set of bowls
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 09:13:09 AM »
Nobody knows :(

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:54:03 AM »
Hi,

The trade catalogues just give price per dozen - I suspect retailers might have made up sets though as I've seen a few sets consisting of one large bowl + 6 small. In other cases I guess it would have been up to the individual customer as to how many they bought.

If they were sold together as a set, I'd probably expect to see underplates too...

Offline davem

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 10:02:12 AM »
Thankyou Steven , these have been in my family since they were new and I was not sure if they had been added to or not , your answer however makes perfect sense . Cheers , Dave.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 03:46:23 AM »
...   If they were sold together as a set, I'd probably expect to see underplates too...

Steven — 1930s Jobling Fruit Sets, such as 1054 (plain with a base star), 1055 (plain with a base fruit design), and 2074½ (older pattern), were always 1+6 cupped without an underplate.   Any other combination would have been retailer flexibility, although I have no evidence of underplates being made in these particular patterns.   Certainly small plates were made in Fir Cone and Flower patterns, but I can't recall seeing any with the few fruit sets I have seen.

1054½ (plain without a base star) seems to have been only available as a large bowl.   The only examples I have seen have been the early floating bowls in jade when the 2541 lady figurine was launched in autumn 1933.   1054 was used in the same way.   See the advertisement in Baker & Crowe p6.   My pencilled annotation reads "1054 / 1054½ jade floating bowl with fake plinth!!".

See http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-12181

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 02:43:12 PM »
Hi Bernard,

Thanks for the extra info. I've certainly seen a flanged fir cone set as a 1+6 with underplates (2+12?), however, I don't know whether it was original or put together by a dealer.

My 1055 set was 1+6 cupped with no underplates. However, I did once buy a mixed lot of jade 1054 which came with a couple of small plates which I suspect would have fitted nicely under the bowls.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand