No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ?Czech  (Read 1062 times)

Offline singingyamada

• Members
?Czech
« on: September 06, 2012, 05:10:50 AM »
Once again I bought something thinking it was one thing only to find out it isnt. I thought it was Rhapsody by Mistov, but I confused what should have been blue for pink, Its described as an ashtray, but a cig has never been near it.
It stands 10 cm tall,
Approx 15 cm in diameter at the rim
and 9cm at the base. 
The base is beautifully polished with a 5cm concave middle.
Its 1.5kg in weight
Any help would be most appreciated. ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: ?Czech
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
I think this could be a piece by Kamei Japan?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 02:00:40 PM »
Seems entirely possible to me, Flying Free.  They made some lovely pieces and because they seem to have only used paper labels it can be hard to verify.  There is a lot of Japanese glass in Australia that people label Murano.

Lately I have developed a "theory" that those with patterns are extremely non-random.  They nearly all have vertical bumps that are in neat lines and the horizontal arrangement also seems to be extremely even.  I attach three photos - the first two I have seen labelled vases, the third I assume is a Kamei as the bumps are the same as the citrine bowl.

Have you any catalogues or soources to help identify Japanese items?

Ross

I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:35:37 PM »
I was going through the Murano section on ebay and found three pieces  Frantisek Zemek Rhapsody, shall search this out further.  I always seem to buy conundrums.  However it was the clarity the weight the form and the base, that made me think it was something.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 02:26:21 AM »
I think m is right about Kamei. It is the first thing I thought when I saw the colors and the way they were done. I do like the pieces they make that are like this.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 05:58:44 AM »
Well it was as above that made me buy it.  i think we under estimate the Japanese sometimes.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 08:30:35 AM »
Ross no I don't have any literature unfortunately, but these pieces appeal to me and somehow they have their own quite distinct look I think, once you have seen pics of a quite a few of them. 
Singingyamada I don't think we underestimate the Japanese but I do think because of the lack of ...so far... literature and marketing materials on 50-70s Japanese glass for example, the pieces are less celebrated and well known at the moment.  I do think that will change as time goes on as some of them have their own look and many including yours, seem to be quite substantial and well made beautiful pieces. 
m

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 08:33:20 AM »
Thanks flying free.  This piece is too cheeky in every way. And it feels so nice.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 10:20:54 AM »
Definitely Japanese in my opinion. I have 2 similar shaped bowls like this but in green & amber by Sanyu Glass I believe.

Yes, Japanese Glass is under valued and most people compare it to Chinese Glass.

However, Japan has been  producing quality pieces for at least 100+ years. Considering the substantial sums that some of the current designers go for...although some of the 50's to early 80's piece have been relegated to cheap and generic (which in my opinion is disgraceful). Although the quality and design is on par with Murano/Scandi designers of the time.

I laugh when I see Japanese pieces listed here in OZ and every now and then overseas as Murano and they fetch more than some Murano pieces.

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 11:05:28 PM »
Update. Gave it to my sister in law for Xmas and she was chuffed. Thanks again for your help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand