If you use our newly updated Designer Searches to find and buy glass, this Board gets a small commission for each purchase, which helps keep the Board running. Click here and thank you for your support.

Author Topic: is this a wine glass/cup?  (Read 335 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Paul S.

  • Members
  • **
  • Posts: 7157
  • Gender: Male
is this a wine glass/cup?
« on: September 06, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »
Handles seem very rare on a wine glass - but the wheel engraving shows grapes and vine leaves, so a possibility.   I have a book from 1910 called 'Early English Glass' by Daisy Wilmer, in which appear about the only wine glasses with handles that I've seen illustrated (page 251  -  height given as 2.5")), although without the caption I'd have assumed those in the book were dead ringers for custard glasses.       The shape of this one is unlike the shape of a custard glass (or the one in the book).         I did think possibly a punch glass maybe?      Ground/polished pontil depression, and frilly finial to the lower end of the handle, so pre 1860 ish.   Collar under bowl and capstan sort of stem.    Rather poorly made, and stands lop sided, with height of about 2.3/4" - 70mm.           Would be interested in anyone's thoughts, so comment away, and thanks for looking. :)


Look for glass on
Look for glass on
 eBay.com (US)

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand