Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: is this a wine glass/cup?  (Read 333 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Paul S.

  • Members
  • **
  • Posts: 7063
  • Gender: Male
is this a wine glass/cup?
« on: September 06, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »
Handles seem very rare on a wine glass - but the wheel engraving shows grapes and vine leaves, so a possibility.   I have a book from 1910 called 'Early English Glass' by Daisy Wilmer, in which appear about the only wine glasses with handles that I've seen illustrated (page 251  -  height given as 2.5")), although without the caption I'd have assumed those in the book were dead ringers for custard glasses.       The shape of this one is unlike the shape of a custard glass (or the one in the book).         I did think possibly a punch glass maybe?      Ground/polished pontil depression, and frilly finial to the lower end of the handle, so pre 1860 ish.   Collar under bowl and capstan sort of stem.    Rather poorly made, and stands lop sided, with height of about 2.3/4" - 70mm.           Would be interested in anyone's thoughts, so comment away, and thanks for looking. :)



Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
key words
to search