No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this a wine glass/cup?  (Read 578 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
is this a wine glass/cup?
« on: September 06, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »
Handles seem very rare on a wine glass - but the wheel engraving shows grapes and vine leaves, so a possibility.   I have a book from 1910 called 'Early English Glass' by Daisy Wilmer, in which appear about the only wine glasses with handles that I've seen illustrated (page 251  -  height given as 2.5")), although without the caption I'd have assumed those in the book were dead ringers for custard glasses.       The shape of this one is unlike the shape of a custard glass (or the one in the book).         I did think possibly a punch glass maybe?      Ground/polished pontil depression, and frilly finial to the lower end of the handle, so pre 1860 ish.   Collar under bowl and capstan sort of stem.    Rather poorly made, and stands lop sided, with height of about 2.3/4" - 70mm.           Would be interested in anyone's thoughts, so comment away, and thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand