No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id help please antique french paperweight clichy ?  (Read 5821 times)

Offline stew2u2

• Members
id help please antique french paperweight clichy ?
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:20:08 PM »
hi
bought this today think it is french but not sure of maker any info would be greatfull. i have looked at my books think it is clichy then baccarat then something else now i have gone goggled eyed
thanks
stew
there is always someone worse off .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: id help please antique french paperweight clichy ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 06:50:32 AM »

I think this design is now attributed to the Grenelle factory - in the past they have been called St Mandé, and before that Bohemian!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 06:27:21 PM »
Hi
thanks for looking and the info
there is not much info about these makers i have 4 books on paperweights and there is nothing in them i have googled for 2 days now and not much out there as well. are they rare what age

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »

The age is mid-late 19th century. They are not common (ie far fewer than Paul Ysart weights, say), but not so rare as to be particularly valuable. I think they usually sell in the £100 to £130 range if in excellent condition.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »
Hi alan
thanks for the info i have just been reading past GMB posts you have said about these weights.you can see why us newbies to glass can get it all wrong when the same designers flit between the different companies. like you said Charles Bredgen who founded the Grenelle factory, having previously worked at St. Mande then moved to clichy, designs they must have moved as well
the canes on this weight seem a better quality than some of the photo's of other Grenelle /
St Mandé weights

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 06:31:09 AM »

Hi. I agree that some St Mandé and Grenelle are messy - but some are high quality.  See the two below - neat weights, with nice canes.

Alan

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »
Alan, I know that more information about the Grenelle factory has come to light in recent years.  May I ask what criteria are used in deciding whether a weight is in fact Grenelle, St Mande or Clichy, given the information that Charles Bredgen worked at all three and as Stew says, surely some designs would have moved with him? 

I am particularly interested in how those weights previously identified as St Mande are now attributed to Grenelle?  What does one look out for? 

Thanks.
Leni

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 10:21:43 AM »
im certainly no expert but the 2 weights alan has look very clichy influenced. i suppose to the trained eye its like butter to margarine

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »

Hi Leni.

I think Clichy canes are very distinctive, personally, but St Mandé and Grenelle are a different matter. A French collector - Philippe Frère - has carried out a lot of research on the two factories ( I think he was the man who helped confirm the existence of these factories together with Patty Mowatt and others).  He has written several articles about them, including one in the PCA Bulletin 2012 which has over 40 pictures of Grenelle weights and another 17 of their canes. I think that 11 cog canes are distinctive of Grenelle, as are canes with multiple layers of colour (such as those in the outer row of the Grenelle weight I have shown above).  But not all of their weights have these features, of course - one is then looking at the style of the canes.

Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand