No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Stölzle Hermanova trinket ‘set’ matching their 187.. / 188.. range?  (Read 7897 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Two pairs of pressed glass candlesticks (one pair in amber, and the other in light green]. 9cm high.

Hexagonal bases, and heavily angled ridges to stems and sconces.

ID's, comments or suggestions, please?

(Permission for re-use of these image on the GMB granted by chickenbabs61 and laddysplace  )

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Candlesticks with heavy angular ridges - ID, please?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:26:47 AM »
Stölzle Hermanova matching their 187.. / 188.. range, I'd say. See Newhall CD Hermanova pre 1958 page 5  :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Re: Candlesticks with heavy angular ridges - ID, please?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:28:50 AM »
Thank you, Pamela.  The catalogue reference is a great help.

I think you are almost certainly correct, even though the candlesticks themselves are not shown on the Newhall CD catalogue. The tone of the green colour also seems to match that of other Stolzle Hermanova Hut pieces.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
A selection of trinket pots in amber and green pressed glass, all apparently in the same pattern.

All the domed lids have a flattened octagonal finial (with a depression the centre) atop a flattened horizontal circular boss. The lids and bodies of the pots are decorated with wide tapering ribs of smooth glass alternating with panels of stippled glass.

The base of one of the pots has smooth horizontal side handles.

The smooth ribs alternating with stippled panels remind me of the Walther Hubertus and Greta pots, but the finials are different.

IDs, comments or suggestions, please?

(Permission for re-use of image of the 2 amber pots on the GMB granted by chickenbabs61, the handled amber pot by shaunandgromitresideshere, and the green pot by laddysplace).

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
A deep amber ‘set’, similar individual pieces of which I’ve already posted on GMB for ID. (Permission for the re-use of the image on GMB granted by rudifaneker).

On
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,49310.msg278099.html#msg278099
Pamela identified the angular ridged candlesticks as probably matching the Stölzle Hermanova 187../188.. range. The candlesticks were also shown in green.

On
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,49603.0.html
I posted photos of the lidded pots in amber and green, but no-one ID’d them as Stölzle Hermanova, though there is a strong resemblance to the 187xx  bowls.

I also have a photo of a similar tray in pale pink. (Permission for the re-use of the image on GMB granted by Jem Botticelli) .

Looking again at the pre-1958 Hermanova catalogue on Marcus Newhall’s Sklo Union CD-ROM, I think that the lidded pots could certainly match some of the 187../188.. range pieces, and there is no doubt in my mind that the alternating stippled and plain ridged panels on the lidded pots and the tray make a good match.

So, should this be regarded as a true set (Stölzle Hermanova or otherwise), or just some fortuitous mismatches mixed with misplaced optimism?

Opinions (or even photos of similar ‘sets’ in corroboration), please?

Offline exislegirl

• Members
I have this set in green, and it is labelled 'ME - British Made'. Unfortunately, I've never been able to work out how to post photos here, but here is a link to a Picasa Album showing the set:

https://picasaweb.google.com/103416468472622115928/ShowTell2?authkey=Gv1sRgCOvir_2iz7Pj-QE Mod: Link dead

Natalie

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Interesting. Is it uranium glass or just green?

Offline exislegirl

• Members
It is uranium, but glows a muted yellowish green colour.

Natalie

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
No, it's not uranium. Uranium glows bright green, not a muted yellowish (that's caused by manganese in the glass).

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you for the link to your nice clear photos, Natalie. I'm sure that if you contact a moderator (particularly Anne) they will guide you through posting some of the photos on GMB as permanent references.

The photos certainly confirm that the pieces in my first post are really part of a  true 'set', that the lidded pots from the set come in at least two sizes, and that there are at least three colourways (amber, pink, and now green).

The label is a great bonus as a potential identifier, too. The main mystery now is who used this label - I can't recall ever having seen it before.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand