No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Breaking News Nailsea / Bristol hat found in charity shop in Bristol for £1.50  (Read 27166 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Well folks, just once in a very blue moon it is still possible to find Nailsea / Bristol glass in the Bristol area going for a song.  If I sell it (still undecided) I will donate a percentage to the charity concerned. There may have been fakes made of these at some point in time but I really do think this is a genuine example. I thought I would post as many photos as possible to show the detail . You can see the rim has a fold on one side and not on the other.....a real frigger if ever there was one ....a glassblower finding their feet . The pontil scar has been heat treated . It's such a rare find these days I just had to share it with you all .  :D
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Lovely, thanks.
That is a hat with personality and a half!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
even more photos .......

Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Last shot of the fire polished base......
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Cheers Sue......it sure is  :o .....I'm so chuffed-to-bits ...found it today and I'm still recovering !
Mike

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Hi Mike excuse my ignorance but what makes it Nailsea i had always thought Nailsea was striped glass ?
 I thought those hats were usually known as friggers .   DOHHHH JP

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Well I didn't like to ask, but now JP has I'm popping my head above the parapet to also ask how this was determined please?
I thought Nailsea glass was full of little blobs of coloured glass like this
http://bottledigging.org.uk/Topic129946-12-1.aspx
But on scrolling down there is a dark green jug that doesn't appear to have any blobs in.  And how do you determine whether it really is from Nailsea or Bristol...I find this whole area very confusing :-\
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
It could be accurately described as coming into the category of being a frigger.
It's still a hat though.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I think the important thing to remember is that the Bristol glass industry (i.e., not window glass) didn't continue in any quantity long into the 19th century (there's something in Chance Expressions), so anything genuine is really pretty old. This looks more Victorian.

Pulled feather stuff can sometimes be Bristol, as can some (very little) enamelling.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Production of Nailsea glass did not continue after 1874, but the works were leased from the owners from about 1855:

From 1855, the works were leased to Samuel Bowen. ... he was bought out by James Hartley ... he later sold the works to Chance Brothers.
Chance Expressions, p.4

It is also worth noting that Nailsea was not in the main a producer of fancy items and friggers, but its core business was producing sheet glass (window glass). I have a lot more to include in Chance Reflections whenever that is published!

I'm no expert on Nailsea, and my 'expertise' is seriously limited as all my books on the subject are currently packed away (Margaret Thomas' book on the history of the works is one such), but it would be difficult to attribute this as Nailsea without a little more proof, as M and JP point out.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand