No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Breaking News Nailsea / Bristol hat found in charity shop in Bristol for £1.50  (Read 27277 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
quote................"(It was the previous hat I owned which had the auction chitty not this one !)"

sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick (or should that be hat)..........I only had one can of lager at lunch time ;D
Misunderstands are always a danger when more than one item gets posted onto the same thread  -  my fault probably.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I'm so pleased you found your hat Paul and posted it here along with mine as it makes for a much more interesting trail of comments about glass hats , Nailsea/Bristol or other  ;) !
Mike

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Pleased to say I have a reply from David Fogden - Clevedon Court - as follows:

""Dear Paul,
As the Administrator at Clevedon Court I necessarily hear a lot about the
house and its artefacts.  Nevertheless, I am NOT an expert in glass!
The first thing to say concerns the term "Nailsea glass".  I have attached
two of the sheets that we offer to our visitors and you can read about the
term there.  I hasten to add that green glass must have been made all over
Europe.  Our assertion about the origin of the green glass here, is merely
based on our location. As for whether your hat originated in Nailsea, who
can say?
Looking at the hats in our collection, nearly all have sharp edges where the
pontil was removed.  None has been polished at all.  We have always
understood that hats were apprentice pieces - presumably at many locations -
and perhaps there was no enthusiasm to do more with them once they were
complete.
There is a website that contains details of the National Trust collection at
http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/ If you search on "glass hat" you
can see the six hats that we have here.

Yours,         David Fogden""

If you go to the website showing the NT collection of glass hats, I particularly like the tricorn example, and am happy to know there is at least another very similar to my pale green example.    Do you recognize yours amongst them, Mike?     I don't think we can say we're any further forward (and may never be) re knowing where specific types/colours were made, although the attached text sheets do seem to imply that simple plain and dark green friggers may well have originated at this factory, some with white or coloured chips  -  but apparently they never produced coloured glass.

In the attached text sheets, the brief history of Nailsea Glass Works is interesting  -  anyone know of 'The Nailsea Glassworks' by Margaret Thomas??
Just realized, being a bit of a thicky, that David's text sheets have been sent to me in pdf format, which the clever people will know are not compatible with the Board - so seems I cannot attach them.     Is there a solution?? ???

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Yes, you can save each page as a jpeg (send them to me if you want)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
many thanks for the offer Christine - presently just off out for a walk/charity shop jaunt and will forward them to you on my return.         Do appreciate your help :)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
In the attached text sheets, the brief history of Nailsea Glass Works is interesting  -  anyone know of 'The Nailsea Glassworks' by Margaret Thomas??
Yup, I have a copy, but can't put my hands on it ATM. Very informative, but cheaply produced paperback that is well researched.

The other book I have on Nailsea, Mike has already mentioned. Again, a very good read if you're into the history or the glass.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Here are the documents Paul was sent

Offline Paul S.

• Members
my thanks to Christine for her help. :)

David - as per Mike's suggestion my copy of 'Nailsea Glass' by Keith Vincent arrived in the post today  -  I will now have a look for a copy of Margaret Thomas' book.             I think it was Peter (Oldglassman) who suggested the paperback on spirit measures (which I would want to buy), but I thought the asking price (for the only copy I could find) exceptionally high for a paperback.      I come from a time when a new Penguin could be bought for two shillings - and it didn't want any fish. ;D

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Throwing one more into the ring, bought in Cambridge many years ago for a fiver.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
attractive and unusual, not been aware of seeing one in this sort of cased colouring, although there is an example in a similar sort of opaque white showing in the NT link - but don't know if it has a pink interior.           Apparently they come in sizes ranging from about two inches in height, to almost full size and big enough to wear.       Is this a large or small hat, and does it have a rough pontil mark?

having thrown your hat into the ring (i.e. requesting a bare fist fight) I'll wager you're now waiting for someone else to follow suit and be your sparring partner  ;)   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand