No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black base what's it for? - ID = Century Glass Works  (Read 3506 times)

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
Black base what's it for? - ID = Century Glass Works
« on: September 08, 2012, 07:25:09 PM »
Hello, I found this small black base at the car boot, I always buy black bases for my vases whenever I find them going cheap. At first I thought this was a small vase base but it can't be because it has a lump raised in the centre and what appears to be a screw thread inside. Underneath it has the reg no. 881198. Its 4 inches across the bottom and nearly two inches tall. All I can think of is a lamp base but can't think its big enough or how it would work. Anyone know what it comes from please because its really bugging me now!!!  ;D   Cheryl

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Black base what's it for?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 08:10:06 PM »
Hello Cheryl  -  it has an almost deco look with those stepped sides, but that Rd. No. is way beyond the end of the British Blue Book Nos.  -  they finish in August 1945 at No. 844274.          It's just possible this may have a Continental origin   -  but regret I can add nothing really useful.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 08:36:24 PM »
The quick checklist on http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/regnos.htm#TOP says between 1950 - 1960

Guess around 1957 ?

Chris

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 05:05:49 AM »
Now thats a useful site to remember for checking dates, it is very deco in shape so it appears earlier in date   ??   Cheryl

Offline claireym

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 02:18:08 PM »
Hi I can tell you exactly what t that glass base is used for. It's for a snow globe. I bought a vintage snow globe from ebay the other day and when it arrived it had a glass base with the number on the base. I put it into the net out of curiosity and saw your post which I know was a long time ago but you may still use the forum.  ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 06:34:25 PM »
 :) Thank-you for taking the time and effort to join to answer this query.
It's very kind of you indeed.
I'm sure the OP will see it.
Are you interested in glass yourself?
Do, please hang around and join in the chatter.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:12:12 PM »
can't promise, but I'll try to include this No. when I visit Kew next week  -  at least we might see the name of the manufacturer.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 11:39:48 PM »
I've added it to the look up topic Paul, along with the Bailey lookups. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 04:23:03 PM »
Wow I posted that years ago, thank you for answering my query, I would not have guessed a snow globe. 😁😁

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 05:20:51 PM »
I now have the Kew pix for Reg. 881198 - plus some others - and hope to post all of them over the next 48 hours.               But, in the meantime, and if Claire is still looking, will she tell us please if her clear glass/plastic 'snow globe' is in some way threaded.           I'm asking this as the black base carries a very simple form of thread, and so we have to assume that whatever was intended originally to sit atop the base also carried a matching thread.
The Kew Registration data for this item indicates that the base might be suitable for several items, but none of these is for a 'snow globe' - although that's not to say categoricaly the Registrant didn't subsequently invent a globe for the base.            My opinion would be that if the globe isn't threaded then it's unlikely to be part of the original design. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand