No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strathearn paperweight rough pontil ?  (Read 3257 times)

Offline stew2u2

• Members
Strathearn paperweight rough pontil ?
« on: September 08, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »
hi
i have this what looks like a strathearn paperweight but it does not have the classic pontil mark. this has a roughly ground base. are some like this or is it a good copy
there is always someone worse off .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Strathearn paperweight rough pontil ?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 10:05:34 PM »

I'm sure that is a Strathearn paperweight - but not the best example of this design that I have seen.  Why the base is so messy, I do not know (perhaps a later interference?).

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:51:25 PM »
With all (most?) of the base scratches being in one direction and quite large, I suggest the weight may have been briefly played with on a rough surface (concrete maybe) by a child before realising what they had done - or before a swift repremand from somebody.
KevinH

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 05:59:41 PM »
but id doesnt even have any sign of the usual dimple
thanks for looking
stew

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »
Lots of Strathearn weights had smooth, polished base, so a fire-polished "dimple" (or even the impressed "leaping salmon" mark) will not always apply.
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »

I don't recall ever seeing a Strathearn 'millefiori on muslin' that had anything other than a flat polished base - I've never seen one with a fire polished 'dimple', like you find on most Strathearn spokes. The clear ground Strathearn spokes - often dated - had flat polished bases, as otherwise you would see the uneven base from above.  I think that is the reason why many of the clear ground 1930s Paul Ysart weights have flat bases - so there is no pontil mark visible - but.... the flat polished base can get scratched.  The antique French / English / American weights usually had a polished concave base if they had a clear ground, so that scratches would not disfigure the design when seen from above - they would just be on the wear rim, which is not visible from above because of the optical properties of the design.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:42:27 PM »
thanks for the info alan and kevin loos like some little so and so might have been in trouble
stew

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand