No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this an antique Clichy... it looks like it was made yesterday  (Read 2344 times)

Offline donaldf

• Members
  • I have a soft spot for St Mande / Grenelle
    • Antique French
    • England
Is this an antique Clichy... it looks like it was made yesterday
« on: September 09, 2012, 01:35:49 PM »
Hi All. This is my first message. I have just bought this weight in a house clearance sale for £15 and I am sure its an antique clichy minature with a rose centre. It is perfect with not a nick or scratch, The very centre if the crown of the weight has a tiny 'wave' in the glass as if the artisan finished in a hurry. It looks like it was made yesterday... is that usually the case?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mildawg

• Members
Re: Is this an antique Clichy... it looks like it was made yesterday
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »
Minor imperfections in the glass from the making are not uncommon. As for being perfect, pieces this age will most often have some damage, not always though. A weight could have been repolished but sounds and looks like you have an untouched piece.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 04:17:04 AM »
Not really my expertise - so no comment as to if it is or not - looks nice anyway.  However, your photos are so magnified that the detail is getting lost in the pixelation.  A typical size for a weight would be c. 500x500 and the space would still be c. 100Kb so it fits on the board.  Is it possible to get a clear photo(especially of the centre cane) so it is more reasonable in size.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline donaldf

• Members
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
Hi, these are better photos hopefully.... sorry for the last ones. My real question is: is the fact that it looks like it was made yesterday, not due to the fact it was made yesterday. In other words, are there modern copies?

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:27:25 PM »

Hi. You will not find any modern copies of antique weights that are good enough to fool anyone - there are some dire attempts from China, but they are awfully crude. There are weights made by modern makers in the antique style, but they are proud of them, and sign them - and they do not attempt to replicate the exact detail of the millefiori, which would be very difficult.  I am sure your weight is 100% antique, and is a Clichy.  I think the condition probably indicates that it has been re-polished.  I cannot see from the images whether there is a wear rim on the base - if not, it has been repolished. If the wear rim is somewhat uneven in width it may indicate that it has been repolished, too.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline donaldf

• Members
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »
Alan Hello

there is wear on the base and it is a 'pure' circle with the actual base being concave, and the wear line about 3mm across the width of wear. Don

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »

Hi Don.

Sounds good to me...it could just be that this paperweight has lived at the back of various china cabinets for the last 150 years, and has not be given to children to play marbles with!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline donaldf

• Members
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 06:37:59 PM »
should I give it to my kids to play marbles with now? .... to increase it's authenticity  :)

thanks for your help , Don

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:17:36 AM »
No Don send it to me i will play with it , i have had three of them in the past but not recently , Alan is spot on of course . well Don . ;)

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »
Nah, nah, that's not a Clichy. Just send it to me and I will dispose of it properly. :D
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand