No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: reg number 29780 - ID = Molineaux Webb & Co  (Read 1331 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
reg number 29780 - ID = Molineaux Webb & Co
« on: August 17, 2013, 10:16:06 AM »
Morning all,i can't find this one in Jenny Thompson's book or anywhere else and perhaps i shouldn't have got it, because it has a couple of chips here and there,but it was only a quid.It seems to have a brick wall pattern on it and i'm wondering what it was for,the reg is 29780,many thanks..

Offline glassaddict

• Members
Re: reg number?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 01:11:55 PM »
Molineaux Webb & Co according to great-glass site - 14th July 1885
Hil :)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:45:31 PM »
Thanks very much,after your post i looked again in my Thompson book and found the reg,in there it has a, /1, after the number maybe meaning it has something else with it?Another thing worth mentioning is when turned at certain angles there's hints of blue opalescence,also in the book it's described as pattern and shape..

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 04:35:23 PM »
If you go back to Thompson, what the book is saying is that there were two Registrations on the same date.........29780 and 29781.               It has to be said, unfortunately, that Thompson's method of describing these two particular numbers could be confusing  -  the books says simply 'pattern and shape', and it might assumed that this was implying both these Nos. referred to the same item.                 There are examples of Registrations where two Nos. do in fact refer to the same object  -  one might well be for the shape and another for the pattern, and you do occasionally find both Nos. shown on the same piece of glass.              However, that is not, apparently, the case with 29780 and 29781  -  and these Nos. refer to entirely unrelated objects.

If you look at Neil's very interesting and helpful site here.......https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/derbyshires-unregistered-pressed-glass  ...............  under Molineaux Webb, you'll find the explanation for each of these Registrations.             No. 29781 being the pike flower trough, and your 29780 being another flower related item  -  although you'll be surprised at the small part your piece plays in the whole design.
You'll also see the explanation of why your item has  'hints of blue opalescence'  -  this is pressed glass at its best :)

Possibly the reason you failed to find the Reg. No. originally, is because you were looking at the earlier series of Diamond lozenge Nos.  i.e. those Registrations between 1842 and 1884.         Remember  -  if you can see a number on your glass then your item is going to be Registered after 1884  -  pieces registered prior to January 1884 will show a diamond lozenge and do not show the actual No.  -  it needs to be decyphered. :)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 07:01:16 PM »
Thanks Paul,i love it when you find something and it leads onto a wealth of new information and your not joking about small part!! i really was not expecting it to be part of such an amazing piece,got to hand it to the Victorians they sure knew how to put on a spread  :o

bfg

Re: reg number 29780 - ID = Molineaux Webb & Co
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:09:34 PM »
oh my! now there's a challenge for you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand