No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pulled thread bowl Nailsea maybe?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Pulled thread bowl Nailsea maybe?
« on: September 15, 2012, 06:19:32 PM »
Has this ages, whilst searching Gray-stan and Nazeing for an earlier post saw the similarity in this and some Nailsea pieces?
3.5" across and definitely an ashtray.
Thanks Chris

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/NailseaGlassBowl

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Pulled thread bowl Nailsea maybe?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »
Chris  -  looking through Geoff. Timberlake's book, there are many ashtrays shown, and apparently many more that weren't, but nothing quite like yours.        They did produce some larger pieces with an internal patterning (created by pulling) called 'lattice' effect - the pulling of the colour created a zig-zag effect, and bubbles were also included in a spiral.  Might you have been thinking of this?        It's about the only design that comes anywhere near your piece, although it definitely isn't the same.
From what I can see in the book, it appears that this orange/red in your ashtray is not a colour used by Nazeing.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 02:38:36 PM »
Okay Paul, must stop thinking out loud :D
Saw a small vase in blue yesterday (carboot) that looked very similar to this bowl below in pattern and colour ( should have bought it pretty sure it was Nailsea the guy also had a couple of Gray-stan vases but both had damage.
http://www.rubylane.com/item/636424-MP000380/Nailsea-glass-cobalt-blue-clear
Then when I googled the Nazeing bowl I spotted this on my tv shelf and put 2 and 2 together and came up with about 176
It's probably Scandinavian or Murano then ;D
Chris

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 02:56:53 PM »
The Ruby Lane one isn't Nailsea either!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 07:24:39 PM »
Seems this weekend's discussions about Nailsea and Nazeing have scrambled what I have left of a brain - think my answer to you was a little off centre, but believe also safe to say that Nailsea didn't do your orangey red either.;)  - and would agree with Christine's comments regarding Ruby Lane.     
Seems it's this decoration of loops/swags/festoons of white or blue on a clear ground, usually, that have come to define the generic 'Nailsea' style - and many people use the term irrespective of the age/quality/origin of the actual piece.    If you're seeing real Nailsea at boot sales I must start following you around ;)         

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand