No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: LVNH convention 1989 p/w can it be pinned down to a maker?  (Read 3893 times)

bfg

LVNH convention 1989 p/w can it be pinned down to a maker?
« on: September 10, 2012, 05:08:21 PM »
Was hoping somebody might be able to point me in the right direction with this one

Full inscription reads STEWARTS CREAM OF THE BARLEY, LVNH CONVENTION 1989  with a Stewart coat of arms in the centre.

so, I know that's a whisky and googling reveals LVNH is Licensed Victuallers' National Homes - a charity for retired publicans.

My main question is can it be assigned to a maker ? is the Scottish link too tenuous?

any ideas?

Cheers
Mel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: LVNH convention 1989 p/w can it be pinned down to a maker?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »

Hi.  I think this will have been made by Caithness - but there are others on this board better placed to comment on that.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

bfg

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
Wow, thanks for the speedy reply Alan...I was hoping to be in that area. Mel

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:17:41 PM »
It certainly could be Caithness - they have done lots of commissioned weights of this type - but I cannot be 100% sure. I have a 1993 flyer of their "coporate designs" - standard designs the customer would pick and have some sort of engraving (or sandblasting) added to the front facet: the basic design of your weight is not amongst them. As your weight was made 1989, this design could have been discontinued - or it is a design made especially for this commissioned weight.

It would be useful to have a side view as well, hopefully showing the basic design better, without any interference from the facetting.

Should we be able to attribute it to Caithness definitely, I certainly would appreciate your permission to include your image in the catalogue on Scotland's Glass.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

bfg

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:16:32 AM »
Hello Wolf, yes of course you would be very welcome to add pics if  we can pin it down to Caithness - if only it was signed  ::)

I'm rubbish at pictures and getting shiny round surfaces not to reflect things ( mainly me and windows ) is next to hopeless

To help, the two dark masses are deepest brown/black and the golden speckled mass is metallic and sparkly - if it was a  murano glass I'd say copper aventurine

cheers Mel

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 11:22:41 AM »
It is copper aventurine

bfg

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 02:15:48 PM »
thanks Christine  :-*

bfg

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 07:33:25 PM »
Hmm, well I contacted Caithness glass today and got a very speedy and polite reply back but they dont have archives pre 2007 since they downsized and moved (what a huge resource, I hope somebody has it safely kept somewhere) so now I suppose its contacting the distillery or the charity, neither of which seem to have obvious contact details.

Does anyone know of any other route worth taking to get a provenance for this weight?

Also, purely with my business head on here, is there much value and/or collectability to a possibly or possibly not caithness corporate unsigned paperweight?

cheers, mel

Edit: I know what I mean lol everything has a value its true but is it worth plonking it on ebay?

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »
I had written a reply to suggest that it may have been LVMH - Luis Vuitton - who own Glemorangie, but it is definitely LVNH, and I cannot see anything that indicates Stewarts as being owned by them so not likely to be a typo.  . 

Lesson learned - do all your research before posting!!
Martin

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 01:09:50 PM »
I think my guess would be Teign Valley Glass: the date is OK; TVG is known to have used both black and aventurine; and there is an LVNH home in Newton Abbot just up the road from Bovey Tracey (home of TVG)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand