No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gunnel Nyman attracts attention  (Read 3564 times)

Offline gfirob

• Members
Gunnel Nyman attracts attention
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:07:30 PM »
I don't know if anybody else has been watching the Gunnel Nyman Serpentine vase on Bukowskis auction site.  It is an early one, signed with acid, but it has bad water staining.  I entertained the fantasy of putting in a bid when they estimated the sale price pretty low, but the bidding has already doubled the estimate with six more days to go, even with the water stain.  It's more than 16 inches tall too, a very nice piece.  I wonder what the final number will be.

Well, we can always dream...

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
Re: Gunnel Nyman attracts attention
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 06:04:17 PM »

Offline gfirob

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:34:11 PM »
I think you're right.  Here is the auction:
http://www.bukowskismarket.com/items/334964-vas-glas-serpentine-gunnel-nyman-nuutajarvi-notsjo-finland

Maybe the estimate was so low because of the condition.  It's at about 1300 Euros with three days left.  These were in production for 10 years, I think, you'd think they'd be a little more common, but I guess not.
Rob

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 07:51:06 AM »
Water staining is a very easy and very cheap restoration - it tends not to dent the value of coveted pieces all that very much.

Offline gfirob

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 02:36:50 PM »
How is it done?  I had looked into the system that is used for cleaning antique bottle interiors here in the States, using a tumbling system with a polishing compound and copper wire bits or glass beads.  But the system is kind of elaborate.  Is this the kind of method you are talking about?  I've seen some pretty nice glass go by with bad water staining and its usually pretty cheap as a result, but something like this Nyman piece is in another price universe (as we are seeing).

Thanks

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 05:12:16 PM »
There were a couple of spectacular Nyman pieces in Bukowski's spring B&M auction, done before her involvement with Nuutajärvi, for Karhula and Riihimaen respectively—with prices to match!!!

http://www.bukowskis.com/auctions/F162/207-gunnel-nyman-vas

http://www.bukowskis.com/auctions/F162/199-gunnel-gustafsson-nyman-vas
robbo

Offline gfirob

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 05:27:45 PM »
Oh my, not too shabby...

What a lovely pair, thanks for that, I hadn't seen them.

A little rich for my blood, but very beautiful examples of her earlier work.

I've seen a number of what were to me pretty good bargains on Bukowskis, but the shipping from Sweden is severe ($400 for a piece of glass).  This is using an art shipping service, but still, the price is brutal.  And of course I see all kinds of stuff there that we rarely see here at all.
Rob

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 09:06:58 AM »
How is it done?

There are a fair few threads on here about removing staining yourself with only the minimal amount of equipment and outlay (essentially, a sponge on a stick with a cerium oxide slurry close to hand), but for the occasional restoration you'd probably be better off going to a restorer and having them do it for just a few £ / €.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand