No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small, acid etched, iridescent bowl - id?  (Read 1395 times)

Offline NMott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
Small, acid etched, iridescent bowl - id?
« on: September 12, 2012, 06:54:36 PM »
Anyone recognise this?

Small iridescent bowl with acid etched surface decoration.
3.25" high, 4" dia.
Small ground pontil mark.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Small, acid etched, iridescent bowl - id?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 06:57:41 PM »
very pretty - is the surface decoration formed by blowing it out causing the crackles rather than it being an acid etched decoration maybe?  can't remember the details but some Walsh glass has this effect near the rim I think .
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NMott

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:55:16 PM »
very pretty - is the surface decoration formed by blowing it out causing the crackles rather than it being an acid etched decoration maybe?  can't remember the details but some Walsh glass has this effect near the rim I think .
m

I looked up Walsh and came across an iridescent blue bowl marked Walsh England, but the description says "typical wide ground pontil" whereas this is unmarked and has a small ground pontil mark.
During a google search last week I came across Fenton stretch glass bowls where the iridescence is applied first and there are 'stretch marks' in the iridescence as the glass has expanded. Checked for that on the bowl and it's not one of those.
The etched surface looks like acid has been sprayed on the top half of the outer surface and has run down the sides of the bowl, leaving smaller holes and lines on the upper half and longer lines on the lower half. It hasn't eaten into the iridescence so that must have been applied afterwards.
The foot hasn't been etched or iridised so it must have been applied last.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:23:19 PM »
Iridescence is the result of metal salts vapourised onto the surface, there is no acid involved. The process of cracking open a layer by blowing out, widely used by Leerdam and by Fenton in the late twenties, is actually based on tin.  These processes are called tin crackle and stretch glass.  This item is just iridescent thickwalled and might have been made by Robert Held in Vancouver - or by any other studio using iridescence.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 08:32:13 PM »
yes sorry for any confusion NMott, I wasn't suggesting it was Walsh, just using Walsh as an example of where you might find this crackle in the iridescent caused as Ivo has described rather than by acid etching.
m

Offline NMott

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »
Iridescence is the result of metal salts vapourised onto the surface, there is no acid involved. The process of cracking open a layer by blowing out, widely used by Leerdam and by Fenton in the late twenties, is actually based on tin.  These processes are called tin crackle and stretch glass.  This item is just iridescent thickwalled and might have been made by Robert Held in Vancouver - or by any other studio using iridescence.

Interesting.

Just to clarify, this item is acid etched and iridised, so two processes have been used for the surface decoration.

Offline NMott

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:33:57 PM »
yes sorry for any confusion NMott, I wasn't suggesting it was Walsh, just using Walsh as an example of where you might find this crackle in the iridescent caused as Ivo has described rather than by acid etching.
m

No worries, just thought I'd double check just in case it was one of them.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:51:24 PM »
Oh ok -   Is it possible to see a close up of the acid etching - it might help pin down a maker or jog memories of a similar decor on another piece?
thanks
m

Offline NMott

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »
Here's a close up and I owe Ivo an apology. It does look to be a crackled surface layer, rather than acid etching.  ???

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 11:33:16 PM »
I'm not saying it is Walsh but I have a Walsh piece with a similar finish,here's a close up... ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand