No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Ysart Brothers Weight  (Read 3569 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
Re: Unusual Ysart Brothers Weight
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 05:30:07 PM »
Hi Gary,

Nice colourful example, and has some "rarity value" - not many Ysart weights show a good range of colour twists (filigrana).

I estimate 26 unrepeated twists, which is probably the most I have seen in one item (weight or vase or ewer) and therefore of definite "nerdy interest" for me. :)

You now need to look out for other similar weights to build up a collection of Ysart twist canes. There are a number of (but not too many) weights with geometric patterms using coloured twists - but whenever I had seen one, it was always too expensive.

What size is it? 2.75 inch diameter? And height?

The base shows use of white / grey but split somehow into the very bubbled "black" ground. The white / grey does not show from the top. I wonder why the white / grey was included.

Could you please add a couple of images of the base to show a straight-on view indicatimg whether the base has general griinding and a shot that highlights whether the pontil area is actually raised or not.
Hi Kev,
          the pontil has been ground out and is concave , the weight is 2.75inches  in width and around 1.75 inches in height , I shall get some base pic taken tomorrow if I remember , can you post a few pics of some others using these coloured twists
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 06:09:06 PM »
I don't know if you're interested, Gary, but on the way back from the fair we (Dee and me) popped into Doune and found a very Strathearny weight, a couple of days ago.
It was incredibly pale - the least colourful one we've ever seen, whites and pale pink, with some twists, but not this dense solid sort.
The only unusual feature was some aventurine in some of the canes around the middle.
It's in a drawer of a desk (painted pale green) at the top of the first corridor as you turn left into in the main bit. A sort of corner stand there. It was cheap but pale and, we thought, ugly. We left it.
But as the palest, most boring and uninteresting thing - it would make the most glorious contrast to this beauty. The base was right for Strathearn.
But as you know, weights are not terribly much our thing. :)

There's also a Grey-Stan plate, (couldn't find a mark, but unmistakable) pink and white swirly, going cheap too, nearer the other main bit with new householdy things in.
On a table of tons of stuff.
Making three bits of Grey-Stan I've seen in about as many days!
One on Nigel's stand, the plate, and Scott's just posted here.  ;D

Really weird things happen if I ever do get out of the house.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 06:32:21 PM »
I don't know if you're interested, Gary, but on the way back from the fair we (Dee and me) popped into Doune and found a very Strathearny weight, a couple of days ago.
It was incredibly pale - the least colourful one we've ever seen, whites and pale pink, with some twists, but not this dense solid sort.
The only unusual feature was some aventurine in some of the canes around the middle.
It's in a drawer of a desk (painted pale green) at the top of the first corridor as you turn left into in the main bit. A sort of corner stand there. It was cheap but pale and, we thought, ugly. We left it.
But as the palest, most boring and uninteresting thing - it would make the most glorious contrast to this beauty. The base was right for Strathearn.
But as you know, weights are not terribly much our thing. :)

There's also a Grey-Stan plate, (couldn't find a mark, but unmistakable) pink and white swirly, going cheap too, nearer the other main bit with new householdy things in.
On a table of tons of stuff.
Making three bits of Grey-Stan I've seen in about as many days!
One on Nigel's stand, the plate, and Scott's just posted here.  ;D

Really weird things happen if I ever do get out of the house.  ;)

thanks sue but not foe me I was in last week and sure I seen it , hope you got nice pieces at the fair

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 06:46:26 PM »
I found Stephen Foster again, after 18 years. I enjoyed that very much and my collection of his work has increased from the two bits I bought when he was still a student at Broadfield House.
You know how two is a mistake... three isn't really a collection, not to an obsessive.  ;D
I've got a respectable 5 now. ;D

And I've just found out I've been misspelling Stephen!
Saw lots of lovely people and had a lot of fun, thanks.
I should have known you'd have already found and dismissed those bits.
Neither were very nice, were they. :-X
I was just suddenly taken with the contrast between your glorious beast and that... thing.
 ;D ;D ;D

And how Nigel's Grey-Stan and Scott's Grey-Stan are fabby compared to that plate!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 11:40:45 PM »
Gary asked:
.. can you post a few pics of some others using these coloured twists

The only example I have (of a Salvador / Ysart Brothers weight) with a few coloured twists is shown below. This is 3 inch (76mm) diameter and 2 1/4 inch (57mm) height.The pics are cropped and tweaked for brightness etc. from originals I took in 2011 when I had a second or third go at preparing info on "Early Ysart" canes.

My weight shown here cost me more than I would usually hope to pay, but it was fascinating because it has some millifiori canes that can be matched to Paul Ysart work and it is smooth, flat polished on the base. I have it logged as made by Salvador, but I know some folk who would disagree.
KevinH

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2019, 02:25:11 AM »
Gary asked:
The only example I have (of a Salvador / Ysart Brothers weight) with a few coloured twists is shown below. This is 3 inch (76mm) diameter and 2 1/4 inch (57mm) height.The pics are cropped and tweaked for brightness etc. from originals I took in 2011 when I had a second or third go at preparing info on "Early Ysart" canes.

My weight shown here cost me more than I would usually hope to pay, but it was fascinating because it has some millifiori canes that can be matched to Paul Ysart work and it is smooth, flat polished on the base. I have it logged as made by Salvador, but I know some folk who would disagree.
thanks Kev for pics of weight very nice it is too, i will have to keep a look out for similar to add to my wee collection of Ysart Brothers weights

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2019, 01:40:10 PM »
I would not disagree about Salvador, Kev.  :)
I have a small suspicion I have a bit of a feel for his work. I think he manages to get his colours to be far more subtle and gentle than others. They're still bright, but there is a softness to them.
I can see a "gentle softness" overall, in this brightly coloured weight.
There's nothing else I use or can see. I just get a feeling sometimes, and I get it with your weight.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand