No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut Stemmed Champagne Glass (for id help)  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Cut Stemmed Champagne Glass (for id help)
« on: September 13, 2012, 03:34:55 PM »
Hello All,

does anybody have any thoughts on this champagne glass...whoever did the cutting threw in a bit of everything!

There is no pontil scar/polishing to the base, finely blown, 17cm (6 3/4") high.

Any suggestions as to country, date, style, maker, etc. that might point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Martyn.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Cut Stemmed Champagne Glass (for id help)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:42:38 PM »
Hello Martyn  -  regret I can't help with anything positive, but can give you some thoughts :).           No doubt champagne has been drunk from just about every shape of glass, but I don't see this as one of the classical shapes i.e. the flute, the saucer/coupe or the tulip, but not aware of this shape associated with the drink.
Believe originally the ale glass was used, followed by a purpose made flute, then the Regency saucer/coupe and finally a mid Victorian invention called a tulip shape, which I can't recall ever seeing.         I would imagine your glass to be C20 in date.
Unfortunately, unless you can find this particular cut design in the catalogues you stand very little chance of finding an attribution - there are literally almost thousands of different cut designs, but it's certainly worth starting a search on the 'glass replacement' sites - you might get lucky.        The cutting does look rather special, particularly the under-foot cutting, and the way that the leaves are given a deep cut to one side to provide contrast or light reflection or whatever, looks quality.   I think Stuart were keen on that feature.           Have you flicked these  -  are they lead glass -  I'd have thought they would be.
Very nice glass, and best of luck in searching  -  but be prepared for a long haul.

P.S.  Could someone please add the links for the two most useful replacement sites  -  can't lay my hands on them right now.  thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:11:08 AM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your thoughts...personally I'd drink champagne out of anything, but your right drinking glass is probably a better description (if a little more boring as a title)

I'm guessing C20 too...1930s??

As you say there are thousands of cut designs and it's the thought of randomly trawling through replacements tiny thumbnails to find a match that fills me with dread...over the years I've spent too many hours/days/weeks doing that to find what I'm looking for isn't there, isn't illustrated or is mis-attributed.

http://replacements.com/

It is lead crystal, nicely cut and I just have this single glass.

I'll have look through Stuart patterns now, many thanks for the pointer.

Martyn.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 09:46:15 AM »
Martyn  -  probably should have said that maybe yours is a wine (as opposed to other sorts of sherbet)  -  and as to date, think I might have come forward even more perhaps - towards the middle of the C20, but I'm really only guessing.
I'd agree that Bob Page's site is very comprehensive, and has given me some good results - although I try to start with the smaller sites and move on only as a last resort.           To run down a maker and design name when starting with a completely unmarked piece is tall order, and I now only look for design names by starting out with pieces that carry at least a makers name.        I've lots of glasses that need to go on the Board's C5 Crystal site, and time has to be saved somewhere.    One or two other replacement sites I've tried are, from memory, ....Crystal Island   -   discontinued designs.co.uk   -   and possibly Tudor Crystal.
Connoisseurs have for some time reverted to the flute......it stops the bubbly going flat apparently - the expanse of the coupe leaves too much of the champers open to the air  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand