No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible Ed. Moore or Derbyshire vase/celery.  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible Ed. Moore or Derbyshire vase/celery.
« on: September 13, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »
posting here as no real idea of origin - but guess can be moved if people wish.
In Barry Skelcher's 'Big Book of Vaseline Glass' (page 183) there is a vase/celery of this identical design, although with a flared rim shape rather than this slightly in-curved look.       Not sure if the colour in the book is true to life  -  certainly this one is a very oily yello-green which believe common during the latter part of the C19.   
Skelcher was unaware of the origin of his, but made the suggestion of possibly being from Ed. Moore (with a tentative date of about 1880)  -  unfortunately he doesn't give the size of his, and shows nothing in the book, from Derbyshire, looking remotely like this piece.        This example is about 7.75" - 200mm tall.
However, in his other book on uranium glass, Skelcher again discusses the output from the Derbyshire brothers and shows pieces which either are, or possibly are Derbyshire, which from the pix appear to have the same foot design and castellated/hooped rim as this piece.

Needless to say no marks on this one  -  plenty of foot wear, and as Bernard says - enough glow to set the curtains on fire.   Four mould seams by the way.

Do any of the pressed glass people know if this shape/design has been attributed to either Moore or one of the Derbyshire brothers??           thanks for looking, and all replies received gratefully :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: possible Ed. Moore or Derbyshire vase/celery.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »
There are three similar vases in Skelcher's 'Vaseline Glassware' (p.80) that he attributes to the Derbyshire Bros',height are from 19-21.5 cm,one has a design lozenge for 1871,registered to JJ and T Derbyshire,best I can do  ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »
thanks Keith.     In fact that was    "his other book on uranium glass"  that I was referring to ;)    I had seen those three, and you can see the similarity of those feet to this example.        The greater likeness, however, is to be seen in Skelcher's BBVG that I mentioned (page 183)  -  where the design is identical (although shape slightly different).     It may well be that in the interim period no one has run down this design to a known Derbyshire registration (or anyone else's for that matter). :)

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 07:48:31 PM »
This does not look like any of the Derbyshire registrations, and as they changed ownership in 1876, if it's 1880's it is unlikely to be them. Quite a lot of the JD pieces will have the anchor mark or a pattern number, even common pieces like salts.

I can't find any matches across the Manchester registrations. It could date anywhere from 1870 to 1890...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 10:53:07 AM »
thanks Neil  -  pity we can't run it down - quite a nice piece and a very rich uranium colour.      Intriguing that this should be the same design as the Skelcher piece, but with a modification to the shape.    I will keep for for the time being in case someone does find more information. :)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 05:25:21 PM »
Paul I can not be of any more help with the ID, I think Edward Moore would be a good bet .

I do have an example of the flared rim celery myself and it measures 7.5" / 190mm which would be the same as yours 200mm if slightly curved in.

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 09:11:52 PM »
yes, Roy  -  that's the precise shape showing in Skelcher  -  and I'm inclined to go with a celery.     Your pix look better than mine :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand