No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Yellow (uranium?) frothy bubbly bowl Scottish?  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Yellow (uranium?) frothy bubbly bowl Scottish?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 09:19:14 AM »
unfortunately, the one pic we don't have of this piece is a side on profile shot (up the right way). :)     I'm still inclined to think this is Nazeing pattern 86/1 - which in the book is shown as one of the 'Sundry Art Glass Bowls and Dishes' - designs which I believe were possibly post war (used until the end of the 1950's) - and varied in shape from the 1930's catalogue.
I did look at the four or five pieces I have ( bowls, vases and a float bowl which I believe are all Nazeing) - and these all show a clear casing, which is thicker at the base - plus they all have a ground pontil depression, which sometimes remain with a slightly matt finish.
The exception was a small pot type piece only four or five inches tall in a mottled pink colourway which has an clear only, almost bun shaped foot showing snapped/heat treated pontil.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 09:35:53 AM »
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,47992.msg270285.html#msg270285
my powder pot here..scroll down for better pics for comparison of bubbles.  The pot is mould blown and cut at the rim so no comparison on the pontil mark.
I'll find the yellow vase in a mo
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »
Thanks m looks the same finish.
Paul some more shots from the side and top.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/MoreNazeingBowlPhotos

Chris

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 01:56:08 PM »
thanks Chris.       Appreciate your comments about lack of clear casing and what appears to be a heat treated pontil, but shape still makes me think of a Nazeing pattern.
Looking at the link to m's powder pot, sorry, but I'm only seeing pale turquoise so unable to compare with the range of greens in Timberlake  -  but have to admit I wouldn't know what 'clear baby green' looked like anyway ;D.      I'm unable to see a powder pot of that shape in Timblerlake  - there are a couple, but the profiles appear quite different  -  plus, as far as I can see Nazeing did not offer that sort of lid with what Christine describes as a 'Lucite knob'.         I've not come across this before - can someone explain please - I assume it's a chromey coated plastic sort of thing.
I'm not inclined to think that m's powder bowl is from Nazeing.

Further down on m's link there is a pale yellowy/green two handled posy shown by Sue.    Nazeing offered similar looking posies (with pulled up sides) - both with and without handles, the latter apparently now very rare because it was thought to be a design failure.    Two examples are shown in the book, and both appear to have clear casing which looks thickish at the base.     Did you get a positive attribution to Nazeing Sue, for yours??        Of course, I guess other factories might well have offered a similar shaped posy vase.

and lastly - short tale of misfortune.........     During the '60's and '70's Boots carried a range of Swedish inspired glassware which was supplied initially by Sowerby Ellison (Gateshead), although this ceased when they went out of business in 1972.     Apparently, Nazeing took the opportunity to buy some of the pressed glass moulds.       Simon Cottle has written of how the large number of cast iron moulds proved too heavy for the lorry bringing them down south, with the consequence that the bottom fell out of the lorry and scattered the moulds on the road!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 02:12:27 PM »
Paul,Lucite is a form of plastic.  I've just taken some more pics of the darned green box to try and get the colour right.  It's a kind of Vasart green (distemper or baby or 50s green as I call it).
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 02:21:24 PM »
comparison pics for Chris

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 03:05:46 PM »
Thanks for the photos m, I notice Nigel Benson describes the Nazeing green 'May green' which does from memory look like the green bucket vase one I saw with the rather crude folded over rim any thoughts on that one Paul it looks very similar to pink one which Nigel describes pre-war funnel which appears to have a folded rim in his photo? will get a photo of that one at the weekend if it's still there.
http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk/id65.html
Chris

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »
Why isit Nigel goes into hiding when Nazeing comes up , OK Nige i will say please if thats what u r waiting for , before you say it i know u r getting ready to make your second fortune at
CAMBRIDGE  ;D :D
THIS COMING SUNDAY THE 23RD OF SEPTEMBER .

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 03:31:23 PM »
My friend Nigel says this a nice pre-War Nazeing. It has a polished pontil mark
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=243

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »
Good old Nigel ,,,, i knew he was lurking out there . c u Sunday Nigel . have a good fair .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand