No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Grand National shot glasses  (Read 9482 times)

Offline sue.e

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • shot glasses
    • UK
Grand National shot glasses
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:29:23 PM »
Hello, came on your website when I was trying to find Grand National Shot glasses, especially with the head of Nicholaus Silver, grey horse, made in the ?1950's.  Anyone know where I can find some?  Hope so.  Sue

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Grand National shot glasses
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:48:37 AM »
Hi Sue welcome , they do come up now and again mostly at bric a brac fairs many years ago i collected a set for a friend of mine who is into horse racing , i havnt seen any for some time now . good luck with your quest , may i ask why that one is it to complete the set ? jp
Is it the transfer ones ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »
I think there's an entire water set of transfer printed GN stuff in my local Oxfam, right now. Unless it's been sold or culled.... I can investigate tomorrow.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline sue.e

• Members
    • shot glasses
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 11:10:37 AM »
Hi John, thanks so much for replying, was not sure if my post would be read and I am so pleased.  My father has just died.  Memories become desperatley important!  When I was a little girl everything stopped at 11.00 in the morning and everyone had a drink.  My grandfather had a Guiness, my nan and aunt had a sherry and my mum a whiskey.  On special occasions my brother and I were allowed a treat.  Either a babysham or a little tiny sherry with lemonade added.  The sherry was served in the little shot glasses, there were six, five bay horses and one grey, who my brother told me was Nicholaus Silver.  I used to always hope I would be given the one with the grey horse.  I think I was too well behaved to ask for it!!!  For some reason that little glass has now huge significance, but my father, who never drank, must have got rid of them and I would love to have one so I could look at it and bring back happy memories of childhood Christmases.  I can almost smell the turkey cooking and my granddfather's pipe!!!!!   I was searching for one last night, found a set on e bay but not with the all important, Nicholaus Silver.  So if anyone has one or a set with the beautiful grey horse I would be so grateful.  Sue

Offline sue.e

• Members
    • shot glasses
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »
Oh wow bless you, hope you can read my reply I have just done, if it is the right glass you might make a lady very happy.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »
I am suspecting they might not be the correct glasses at all.
What shape and size are you looking for?
I do trawl my local charity shops, sets of small shot glasses do appear. I missed a lovely one with different Spaniels on it a few weeks ago. I'd "noted", went to pick something else up to look at it - and in the few seconds interval, somebody else grabbed it.  >:(

However, I shall start looking for you. :)
(I wouldn't normally bother paying attention to things with horses on.)

I know exactly the sort of scenario you are describing!
My Grandpa used to prepare cocktails for everybody just before Saturday and Sunday family lunch.
He had special glasses and a special individual "recipe" for each person.

He would have them all mixed and lined up on top of his bookshelf, for folk to take while waiting for the roast to rest before serving.

I used to get the job of pouring out the wine at table. This meant I could ensure there was a little left in the bottle - which I got.
There was method and motivation behind that.  ::)
(Gripe water was alcoholic in those days - I'd regularly pretend to have a sore tummy to get the booze when I was a child.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline sue.e

• Members
    • shot glasses
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 12:31:35 PM »
Thanks so much, it would be wonderful if you could look as well.  Memories are so so important and thanks for sharing yours with me.  You have made me smile this afternoon, and I didn't know gripe water was alcoholic, wow.  And really so glad I found this web site after spending a couple of hours looking last night.  Dear old Nicholaus Silver might turn up somewhere!!!!!! Sue

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 12:43:21 PM »
Gripe water is no longer alcoholic.
I did hear a story about an elderly lady who was shocked to be told by her doctor that she was an alcoholic - she thought she was teetotal, but she was drinking 10 or 12 bottles of gripe water a day! I think this might have been behind the change in the recipe.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
Sue e if there is one out there we will find it for you , i can feel how much it means to you,,, this forum is probably your best bet , wish us all good luck . jp

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 06:40:39 PM »
Welcome to GMB, Sue.e!
Here's a set including Nicolas Silver
Good luck if you go for it !
 :-*
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand