No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Grand National shot glasses  (Read 9483 times)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline sue.e

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • shot glasses
    • UK
Re: Grand National shot glasses
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 07:00:15 PM »
Well, what can I say, you all will never know how I feel right now, johnphilip, bless you, your reply bought tears to my eyes, thank you so so much.  Musn't cry as I am trying to be so strong.  Got chriscooper's message first, rotten thing have never been on ebay, bit too old!!, but I have gone straight on and, hopefully have sent a message to the seller to buy them straight away, hope I have done it right.  Pamela going to try to follow your link now.  Wow you are such lovely people, just when I feel so low I get a boost like this, and soon might have those treasured glasses.  As I said not too good with computers but will come back and let you know if I have them.  Thank you so much all of you.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »
They're the same seller. Pamela has looked via German ebay, so it comes up in German

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 07:28:03 PM »
Sue if you cant do it let us know , i am sure we can put a bid on for you , it wont be a lot of money , for sure as they say . . :-* Sue when i was little i always went for the grey as most of us kids did , i believe your dad has found one for you . With the help of  Chris and Pamela .

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:01:19 AM »
Wonderful!
Sue - I don't think you're going to have a lot of competition, but the best way I find to go about bidding for something I intend to win, is to sit there at the end of the auction with my highest bid placed, waiting for the countdown to the end which appears at the time.
I have my finger poised on the confirm button, and push it 8 seconds before the end.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 08:24:12 AM »
If you are nervous dont leave it too late as i did once and pushed the wrong button and missed the bidding . However much you put on you will only pay a little more than the under bidder .
If i truly want something  i always put on 30£ more than i want to pay , i have always won that way for much less .

Offline sue.e

• Members
    • shot glasses
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »
Again thank you all, can't believe how lovely you all are.  Right I think I had put a bid on, and I also sent an e mail to the seller to see if I could buy it straight away, he did e mail me back and said no, it had to go to the end as several people interested. I did e mail him back with a brief reason why I wanted them but he didn't reply to that. I am going to try and go on ebay again to see if I can work out what to do, it looks like it runs till 23.9.12 at 19.04.    They are for sale for £3.99!!!!!!!!!!!  Lets hope I will get them.  Will let you all know and then buy you all a sherry and lemonade!!!!!  Sue

Offline sue.e

• Members
    • shot glasses
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 06:11:37 PM »
Hello everyone, and another big thank you to all you who tried to help me find this precious glass that I wanted so much.  The bidding stopped this evening at 7.04, I was so so sure I would be able to buy them and although I tried my best I am afraid I was outbidded at the end, devestated.  So, again, if anyone knows any of these glasses would be so grateful.  Sue

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 06:30:19 PM »
Another set...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Retro-Vintage-1960s-Horse-Head-Grand-National-Shot-Glasses-Good-Condition-/170913710934?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item27cb404356

I went to "pottery, porcelain and glass" as the category, typed 
shot glasses + horses 
into the search box,
clicked on "search" and there they were. A bit more expensive than your missed set, and not boxed, though.

It looks like you placed your bid too early - you gave the next person 3 minutes to see your bid and up it!

You need to put the highest price you'd be willing to pay in about 8 seconds before the end - that gives time for your bid to be processed, and then you just hope nobody else is willing to pay as much. You're only likely to pay 50p more than the next highest bidder anyway when the final price is still in these "lower echelons".

Do not give up hope, you'll get your precious glass eventually. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline sue.e

• Members
    • shot glasses
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »
Hello, yet again I didn't expect a reply and you have surprised me yet again! chopin-liszt , all I can say is a mere thank you which really doesn't put into words how I feel, but at the moment words are hard to find, all too emotional, I am sure you understand.  Yes I was devestated yesterday, I was so sure I would be able to buy them, and I put the computer on and watched as the clock went down, maybe my reactions were too slow, as I thought I had put in a bid of £12, the window came up to confirm bid and I hit it and thought I was OK.  Such a shock to see I had somehow made a mistake.  So it's another day, and I have put a bid in for the glasses  that you found, this time it is Sat 29.9.12 at 7.16.  Not sure what more I can do to be able to buy them, any tips on how I made the mistake before?   But hope you will know how much your help has made me feel.  Sue

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand