No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual bowl and flagon - Flying saucer set?  (Read 950 times)

Offline Blorengia

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
Unusual bowl and flagon - Flying saucer set?
« on: September 30, 2015, 08:03:35 AM »
I would be grateful for any help or ANY information about these two pieces. I bought them from our local charity shop simply because I've never seen anything like them before. The bowl is 17" diameter, the 'flagon' 7" high. Perhaps it's not a flagon/decanter because there's no handle for pouring and no sign that it has had a stopper.

Any thoughts, please?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Unusual bowl and flagon - Flying saucer set?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 10:39:20 AM »
I believe I've seen these bowls before ... they had a label saying it was made in Spain from recycled glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Dingledodger

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 10:49:53 AM »
Hi,

Unsure about the vase but pretty sure the bowl is Ikea, my mum had one in blue from there.

Regards, Ben

Offline Blorengia

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 12:20:28 PM »
Thank you both for your suggestions...

Anne Tique - Your post was enough to push me in the right direction: By googling 'Spain recycled glass bowl' I found a couple of images which lead me to other sites and I think I can now safely say that what I have is a Spanish Ribbon Bowl (sometimes called an eyelet bowl). It seems that originally it may have stood on a simple metal stand and you thread a wide decorative ribbon through the holes and use it as a centre piece any type of celebration e.g. baubles and fircones etc for Christmas. Perhaps it has come from the Couronne Company as I found this example on their site: https://www.couronneco.com/g7273-ribbon-bowl.htm
Another example: http://media.merchantcircle.com/18937377/M023-G7272_M024-G7272_M028-G7273_Eyelet_Bowl_w_Stand_Gingham_LG_full.jpeg

I've never seen this type of bowl before, they're rather attractive, but as this one didn't have any stand I may see if I can get one made locally for it. It would also be nice with floating candles in it on the patio table in the summer.

As for the vase/flagon/decanter that fits into it - I'm still not sure what that's for but they definitely go together as it's such a perfect fit. Perhaps it could be used beside the bowl for displaying some seasonal flowers.

Thanks again for your help  :)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 12:37:46 PM »
From the company web pages:
Couronne Company, Inc., a premier manufacturer in home décor accessories and recycled glassware designs ...
So, are these bowls etc. made in the US, or made in Spain (or elsewhere) on contract from the US?
KevinH

Offline Blorengia

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 02:10:37 PM »
From the company web pages: So, are these bowls etc. made in the US, or made in Spain (or elsewhere) on contract from the US?

Sounds like it might be a bit of both:

"Couronne Company is a wholesale glassware and metal designs manufacturer and distributor specializing in the recycled glass industry. Our line includes glass bottles, glass jars, glass bowls, candle glass containers, glass vases and more all catering to the gift, home décor and packaging industry. Choose from our extensive line of stock items, or contact us to manufacture a custom design. We also manufacture a line of exclusive metal designs that, teamed with our glass containers and glass bottles, create a unique decorative piece. Whether you are a retailer looking for new product lines, or a manufacturer searching for glass packaging solutions bottles or jars, Couronne Co. has something for you."

Couronne, 12617 Beltex Dr, Manor, TX 78653, United States

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 03:50:31 AM »
I have a large blue one. They also come in a recycled greenish glass, and I seem to recall seeing an amber one too, as well as the one you show. I bought mine for use as a fruit bowl from Poundstretcher in the UK several years ago. Cost me around £5 I think from memory.

According to the Couronne website these bowls are made from 99% recycled glass from Spain.  They also market items made from 40% post recycled glass from China.  They use a different icon to indicate country of origin on their website:  https://www.couronneco.com/recycled_glass.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand