No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large enamelled quality crystal vase polished pontil mark,bright all over enamel  (Read 2147 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've not a clue where this might come from.  It's a good quality clear crystal vase, heavy weighing 850grams, rim thickness 4mm, polished pontil mark, fire polished rim,  lots of genuine age wear on the base where it's worn into a matt ring nearly.  The metal is very clear but on the black background looks tinged by reflection, it isn't.  The enamel is fired on, thickly applied and brightly coloured all over decoration, a real statement piece.  6 1/8" tall or 15.7cm x 4 3/4" diameter or 12cm at the rim.  The foot is applied and flares out and then is flat, so not a bun foot as it were.  The  pontil mark is quite large. My vague thoughts were Dutch or Belgian but no idea why, just a start place for looking I think.
any thoughts or ideas much appreciated.
Many thanks for looking :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
hopefully base pic -= the pontil mark is very slightly off centre but not by much, it just looks it in the photo as I had to angle it to get a clear shot..

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
It's the tulip motif of course - but I do not think it is Dutch or Belgian. Sooner think of Germany or Turkey....

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks Ivo, I think probably that and those coloured bands which always make me think Belgian for some bizarre reason.
I'll check out your possibles, thank you  :)
m

Offline keith

• Members
Do you think the 'painting' was done at a later date it looks very fresh  ???,I remember buying an enamelled sugar bowl years ago and watched in horror as the 'enamel' (poster paint or something) came off when washed ::) ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
The enamel is amazing and no it's not 'fresh' on ;D - I just happened to inadvertently use a close up that doesn't have as many bubbly marks and patches so it looks very 'clean'.  I've been looking at Glaskilian's site and thinking it is possibly Bohemian/German 30's 40's from what I can see on there. I'll find a link to post for reference.
ps.  oops on the sugar bowl ::) I'm not going to wash this lol....but I have done a scratch test  ;D
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
It is similar to this kind of enamelling..I don't think it's as old of course and I can't find a better example at the moment
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/jsm-antik-auktionen/catalogue-id-2866412/lot-15216927
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7899572
but possibly from the same area or region? 
Ivo have you any thoughts on how old it might be please?  Am I in the right area with 30's or 40's?
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
The red-white-blue and orange and the tulip strongly suggest Holland - but it is not the style we see here at all. I would still think German made for the dutch market. I also think the nationalistic colour scheme hints at the 1930s thru 50s - but that is merely a guess.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ok thanks Ivo.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I sold this ages ago but this morning came across an enameller called Francesc Elias

The pieces below appear to be signed F Elias - Mine was not signed as far as I recall.
But... there are marked similarities with the colours and style of decoration.

http://www.todocoleccion.net/vintage-decoracion/5-vasos-decorados-por-francesc-elias~x38445946

and some more pieces on this site

http://jfernandezantic.es/cristal/

The mark is for the enameller so I don't know where the glass originates from.  Not entirely sure where the enameller originates from either although could be Spanish.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand