No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harrach 1860 'Etruscan' or Classical vase-huge 14" tall my oldest piece  (Read 8723 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've found Brian's article in the Czech/Bohemian section with his pair of vases so I'll do a link on that thread and here as well.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,48475.msg273260.html#msg273260

I believe this is one of the same set but a slightly different shape and a different decoration.
This vase measures 14" in height (35.5cm) and weighs 2 3/4lb or 1.2kg.
 It dates to 1860 from what Brian has said.
The decoration is nearly immaculate with all the gilding still bright and shiny on both the pictures. The only wear is to the gilded bands. The base has some shiny patches where I think  it was once polished but has now almost completely worn matt.
Apart from two French  pieces (an opaline cake stand and a Clichy jug, both damaged)and a uranium opaline lustre which may be older I think this is my oldest piece ;D
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Harrach 1860 'Etruscan' or Classical vase-huge 14" tall my oldest piece
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 01:10:30 PM »
more close ups

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »
Well found ;D without that link I'd have said Richardsons or S&W's ;D ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »
Me too  ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
Thanks  :) there are some differences between what is id'd as Richardson's in CH British Glass and this vase, now I've looked at them all quite closely.  However, I thought I'd got the hang of distinguishing them until I came across the vase on page 100 plate 72 - I'd have thought that was Bohemian, but it's not...so obviously it isn't that easy   :-\
I'm pretty sure this is part of the Harrach set that Brian has found in the books, but I suppose it might not be.  It's rather risque I think  ;) she is partly clad, he is obviously proud of his 6 pack  ;D
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 11:28:52 AM »
http://inmortalis.livejournal.com/14852.html
found this link whilst following up a link Baked Beans kindly gave on the 'gigantic ewer' thread.
It's different but in a similar vein.
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »
If 1860 not so risque, that was a later trend unfortunately.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »
confused  -  do you mean you think mine is not part of that particular set and of that era?  Or do you mean I'm viewing it as 'risque' when that wasn't intended?
It's exactly the same shape as the vases Brian shows on his site as far as I can see :-\

m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 10:12:57 PM »
UK at least the eras following 1860 saw the growth of sexual oppression in the UK at least. With more than one curator modifying ancient male statues with chisel and mallet. Not sure what happened in the rest of Europe but I doubt the attitude was not more widespread.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »
Looks like Harrach to me.  I just got back from a month in central Europe, where I just missed seeing a special exhibition of Harrach in Prague.  However, they published an amazing book, From Neuwelt to the Whole World/300 Years of Harrach Glass, by Jan Mergl.  There is a vase shown on pg. 180 that has what is apparently the same transfer of the woman pouring from a ewer, though in reverse (the caption describes it a a vestal virgin at a sacrificial alter).  The style as executed by Harrach was at its height in the mid-1860s, so a decade or two after it peaked in England.

One thing I noticed while visiting museum after museum was the surprising amount of "risque"-looking art produced in the last few decades of the 19th C.  Like Frank, I'd always thought that was a time of suppression of that sort of thing, but bare breasts abounded.  Even in English glass there are examples, such as the Roman-themed cameo pieces of the Woodalls.  I wonder if part of the attraction of the Greco-Roman revival was that it made acceptable the portrayal of nudity and semi-sexual themes in an era when they were otherwise suppressed.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand