No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harrach 1860 'Etruscan' or Classical vase-huge 14" tall my oldest piece  (Read 8685 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Harrach 1860 'Etruscan' or Classical vase-huge 14" tall my oldest piece
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 01:46:41 AM »
Ah, yes, those are what I was looking at!  I thought we weren't supposed to post photos of books...has that changed?  I haven't been around here much in the last couple years, obviously.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline azelismia

• Members
    • The Gilded Curio; a personal collection
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 01:50:32 AM »
according to the book the terracotta ones were all painted by franz hermann.

Passau was fantastic. I spent three days there although the last day was all spent frantically trying to figure out how to get a wire transfer. I never would have guessed that NO ONE takes credit cards just about. I never have cash. it was quite the eye opener. Did you make it to the old loetz villa and get some shards? ohhh, you make jewelry too.. I have a few pieces I'd love to have necklaces made of.. we need to talk about that if you're still doing it. :)

the book postings.. uh dunno. I almost never come in here. if that is a no no I can take em down!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 01:54:35 AM »
Kristi,thanks so much for finding this thread and drawing attention to it.  Alisa thank you!  It's wonderful to see them in print as well.
Kristi Richardson's did do some vases in a similar vein, I'm writing from memory, but I believe they are attributed to being 10 years earlier than the Harrach vases, and they are different.  Hard to describe but you can see the differences in the C.Hajdamach book. But I also think they were done from transfers iirc.  I'll take some time tomorrow to check my info in the book - it's waaay late here now :0
but thank you both very much.
m

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 02:03:30 AM »
the books notes that the english had a lot of glass with this theme at the 1851 fair. Harrach only had the black and red glass at this point with classical figures painted by Herrmann. They say that it reflected harrach's desire to follow fashion in England (it's most important market at this point in time) but at the same time follow it's own path by creating a product that was slightly different than the english product. It says that the alabaster product also first appeared in the drawing books (harrach) in the mid 1850's. anyway long story short there were many more than one pattern book with this style glass. it was a staple at harrach for the english market for 15 or 20 years.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 09:45:03 AM »
Yep, Richardson's were often transfers too.

Alissa, did you read in the Mergl book on pg. 179 about transfer prints combined with painting?  It talks about Pompeiian red being one of the common "contour" colors.  So, if I understand it correctly, the outline/background is done with a transfer, and it's combined with hand-painted details.  I don't know, though, I'd like to find out more about the process.

Did you see the Harrach exhibit at the Prague Museum of Decorative Arts that the book came out of?  I would have loved to see it, but it had just ended.  The pieces borrowed from Passau still hadn't made it back there.  And yes, I'm still working with copper.  In fact, I've always wanted to combine glass with metal.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 10:19:35 AM »
It's very common on china of the period, often with a brown or reddish outline, so there's no reason why it shouldn't be used on glass. Some (later) transfers are even found on both glass and china

Offline azelismia

• Members
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 10:41:42 PM »
yeah, I've definitely seen transfer highlighted with additional painting before. usually gilt highlights.  Here is an example (Alert now talking about my example not the lovely example that the OP has :) ) that has white highlight contour colors you can see it on the close up image. I do kind of think this is low end harrach after seeing lower end stuff at Passau. I asked Deb T about it and she said they did indeed do low end glass as did almost all the glass works. I had thought this probably wasn't Harrach because of the transfer.. but I guess that was par for course for them.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/745016-Guardianangelurn/Victorian-Urn-Lidded-glass-vase

I was in the group that went over with Deb Truitt and her sister Elizabeth so while we missed the prague exhibit we got to visit the depository at the UPM and saw the glass that was going to be in the exhibit. We were able to photograph in there for a few hours. We also got into the depository at Harrach. I am hoping for another chance to go back there. unfortunately we went right before the 300 year celebration for harrach so I didn't get to spend the time I wanted to with the glass.

I can't really afford to have jewelry made right at the moment but in the new year I'll send you an email and we can talk. I am thinking simple for most of these to highlight the glass above all else.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 03:53:51 AM »
Wow!  That must have been an extraordinary trip!  It would be awesome to go there with someone so knowledgable about glass.

(Sure, shoot me an email anytime.  I'm pretty busy now, anyway.  Simple is good, and cheaper!  Sorry I've been spelling your name wrong.)
Kristi

- Albert Einstein

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 07:09:02 PM »
I just thought I'd add dates here as I'm looking at Etruscan vases in CH British Glass 1800-1914 page 138.
There is an article photographed there that appeared in the ARt-Union Magazine in June 1847 and it has examples of white 'Etruscan' vases decorated by Mr Giller on blanks produced by Webb.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 10:26:04 AM »
Also adding the following for future reference and debate:

Charles Hajdamach British Glass 1800-1914 page 136 colour plate 13, there is a vase very similar to mine (the one on the far right of the 5 vases pictured) but in opaline glass that is polished rather than matt.  I think this is also Harrach.

Also same plate vase second from left I think is as well.  That has the same transfer picture on it as the picture on a different vase in Mervyn Gulliver's Victorian Decorative Glass British Designs 1850-1914 page 105.  There are two vases pictured in this book one on page 104 and the other on page 105 and I think they are possibly both Harrach as well?

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand