No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Chinese Clichy  (Read 5120 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Another Chinese Clichy
« on: September 17, 2012, 02:14:13 PM »
I've informed this seller that their paperweight is Chinese and certainly not worth $150, I somehow don't think they'll believe me though.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-Millefiori-Glass-Paperweight-Baccarat-Clichy-37-Canes-Signed-/290776299551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b39e381f

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Another Chinese Clichy
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 03:12:43 PM »
I wrote the seller, too. Maybe we can convince him/her. I don't see why someone would even imagine Clichy for this pw.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:51:39 PM »
Hi,
       looks like they finally took your advice and amended the listing with suitable thanks.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:24:33 PM »
It would have been nice to revise the title and description, which would have been easy to do. I hope people read through before bidding.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »
Bargain! The decimal place still seems adrift!

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »
Bargain! The decimal place still seems adrift!
Hey if you think that's a bargain, I've got 3 Chine oops sorry I mean Clichy ones you can have for just £100 each, I'll even include postage. I guarantee they were verified by my mate Pete sorry again I mean Pierre after 10 pints of French beer so they must be right.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 09:25:35 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-Millefiori-Glass-Paperweight-Baccarat-Clichy-37-Canes-Signed-/290776299551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b39e381f
This seller has accepted advice and corrected the listing.
I am less hopeful for this listing of a Fine Vintage Millefiori Paperweight- Clichy Baccarat Ysart Caithness Perthshire - as the seller has a habit of listing all manufacturers he likely has ever heard of as potential manufacturers. I had informed him on several occasions before - no response, no correction.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:24:26 PM »
I still wonder with the original listing. The pw looks later to me. Is the seller right saying it is maybe 1930-40s?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 12:43:12 AM »
 I too share your concerns regarding the paperweight being a Clichy, however, I have noticed on many occasions where enquiries are made prior to listing and I am not saying that this has occurred in this case, however, when there is no response, what is expected of the seller?  Just a question ::), as I have many paperweights which,  I have managed to identify and sell, however, there are some that I am unable to find.  By posting items unable to find or unsure of on the GMB site, most certainly helps the seller to list there items better.  Notice, ........................I omitted to use the word 'accurately,' however, if there is no response, the seller will list the item solely on the basis of his/hers information gathered.  It is obvious to me that some Sellers will not respond to members who may query what they are selling. They do have that right.   Ebay is not a GMB Site and have totally different operational functions even though they do work in conjunction when assisting to advise.   

I must admit that there are times when I too ignore the responses from Ebay members, but before I do this I will always investigate the item further, prior to rationally making any form of amendments.

An item is only worth what a person is willing to pay.  What maybe worth a couple of quid to me and you, a person maybe prepared to exceed that amount excessively.  If the decimal point has gone to sea without sails or oars, the seller always has the opportunity of re listing his/her item with a view to increase or decrease their amount. ;D

I have read the sellers description and it does welcome advice.  If this paperweight is Chinese, hopefully someone on the GMB site will need to inform him of country of origin, which is currently 'France'.  :-X

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 08:08:31 AM »
Fine Vintage Millefiori Paperweight- Clichy Baccarat Ysart Caithness Perthshire
This time I got a response - and, should you consider informing the seller, be prepared to get the following response
Why don't you bother off and mind your own bothery business you person.
OK - we all know the funny results you get with online translations. The above is the result of the GMB "translator" from original text to what  the translator considers bearable to your sensitive minds.

I too share your concerns regarding the paperweight being a Clichy, however, ..., what is expected of the seller?
Well ... as you say later ... reading the comment and considering the possibility is a first step. The seller can accept advice and modify the description (many do !) ... or mention that comments have arrived (as in the case of the first weight in this thread) ... or just publish the original comment in the Q&A section for interested people to decide what they feel is correct ... or just ignore it, which is the seller's right but a pity.

An item is only worth what a person is willing to pay.
True ... but does that mean that obvious (to us) fraud is acceptable ??
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand