Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!
Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Vintage Crystal Decanter  (Read 262 times)

Offline Casey951

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • california
Vintage Crystal Decanter
« on: September 17, 2012, 05:44:47 PM »
Hello,

I need ID help with this vintage crystal decanter. It is clear glass with a column-style neck and hexagonal cut stopper. No markings on the bottom. Decanter measures 11"High (with stopper) and 6"Diameter.

Thank you for taking a look!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Vintage Crystal Decanter
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:59:32 AM »
just a couple of things............this appears to be the classical 'shaft and globe' shape  -  made almost forever, although with that ground and polished pontil depression the quality looks quite good.           The only other point of any remote use I can think of saying is that the shape/design of the stopper looks to be 1930's - it has an angular geometric look of the art deco period.    Does the stopper fit well?  -  so many bodies end up with the wrong stopper  -  and are there any matching numbers on either the stopper or body?        Bottom line is that it could be from anywhere, unfortunately. :)

Offline Casey951

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • california
Re: Vintage Crystal Decanter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:22:08 PM »
just a couple of things............this appears to be the classical 'shaft and globe' shape  -  made almost forever, although with that ground and polished pontil depression the quality looks quite good.           The only other point of any remote use I can think of saying is that the shape/design of the stopper looks to be 1930's - it has an angular geometric look of the art deco period.    Does the stopper fit well?  -  so many bodies end up with the wrong stopper  -  and are there any matching numbers on either the stopper or body?        Bottom line is that it could be from anywhere, unfortunately. :)

Hi Paul, thanks for the info! Your dating of the stopper sounds right and fits into the same time line as other pieces of glass that I acquired from the same estate. The stopper does fit very snugly but there are no numbers to be found on its bottom or that of the decanter.  :)

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com
This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand